bayo
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:38 pm

CUDA support

Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:48 pm

Hi,

When or How we are going to able to install nvidia cuda along with the proprietary driver - in my case for Optimus systems?


Thanks!

Code: Select all

Laptop System: MSI GP72 2QE
UEFI [Legacy]
Quad core Intel Core i7-5700HQ
Graphics:  Card-1: Intel HD Graphics 5600
Card-2: NVIDIA GM107M [GeForce GTX 950M]

User avatar
kyrios
Posts: 2297
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:20 pm

Re: CUDA support

Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:21 pm

bayo wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:48 pm
Hi,

When or How we are going to able to install nvidia cuda along with the proprietary driver - in my case for Optimus systems?


Thanks!
Cuda license does not allow re-distribution.

bayo
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:38 pm

Re: CUDA support

Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:52 pm

kyrios wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:21 pm

Cuda license does not allow re-distribution.
I'm not talking about re-distribution.
Cuda toolkit and is free - https://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-downloads like the nvidia drivers

I'm talking about the ability for us as Solus users to use the power of our GPUs under GNU/Linux .
I like to see Solus as not just another distro. I listened carefully what Ikey was saying in some interviews, and i like they way he thinks, and btw. that was the reason i got into Solus and patron it.
:)

Code: Select all

Laptop System: MSI GP72 2QE
UEFI [Legacy]
Quad core Intel Core i7-5700HQ
Graphics:  Card-1: Intel HD Graphics 5600
Card-2: NVIDIA GM107M [GeForce GTX 950M]

User avatar
kyrios
Posts: 2297
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:20 pm

Re: CUDA support

Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:20 pm

bayo wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:52 pm
kyrios wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:21 pm

Cuda license does not allow re-distribution.
I'm not talking about re-distribution.
Cuda toolkit and is free - https://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-downloads like the nvidia drivers

I'm talking about the ability for us as Solus users to use the power of our GPUs under GNU/Linux .
I like to see Solus as not just another distro. I listened carefully what Ikey was saying in some interviews, and i like they way he thinks, and btw. that was the reason i got into Solus and patron it.
:)
There is a difference between free as in free beer and free as in free speech !

Here is the licence of the Cuda toolkit.

bayo
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:38 pm

Re: CUDA support

Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:33 pm

kyrios wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:20 pm
bayo wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:52 pm
kyrios wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:21 pm

Cuda license does not allow re-distribution.
I'm not talking about re-distribution.
Cuda toolkit and is free - https://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-downloads like the nvidia drivers

I'm talking about the ability for us as Solus users to use the power of our GPUs under GNU/Linux .
I like to see Solus as not just another distro. I listened carefully what Ikey was saying in some interviews, and i like they way he thinks, and btw. that was the reason i got into Solus and patron it.
:)
There is a difference between free as in free beer and free as in free speech !

Here is the licence of the Cuda toolkit.
Do you mean that Solus users will never be able to use CUDA? I see many distros are using it like RedHat, Fedora, Arch, Debian, Ubuntu...

Code: Select all

Laptop System: MSI GP72 2QE
UEFI [Legacy]
Quad core Intel Core i7-5700HQ
Graphics:  Card-1: Intel HD Graphics 5600
Card-2: NVIDIA GM107M [GeForce GTX 950M]

User avatar
kyrios
Posts: 2297
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:20 pm

Re: CUDA support

Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:32 am

bayo wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:33 pm
Do you mean that Solus users will never be able to use CUDA? I see many distros are using it like RedHat, Fedora, Arch, Debian, Ubuntu...
This is not what I said (see here for example), but currently the license of the cuda toolkit prevents it from being added in the repository. As far as I know RedHat, Fedora, OpenSuse, Debian, Ubuntu do not distribute Cuda. Only Arch does it.

bayo
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:38 pm

Re: CUDA support

Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:09 pm

kyrios wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:32 am
bayo wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:33 pm
Do you mean that Solus users will never be able to use CUDA? I see many distros are using it like RedHat, Fedora, Arch, Debian, Ubuntu...
This is not what I said (see here for example), but currently the license of the cuda toolkit prevents it from being added in the repository. As far as I know RedHat, Fedora, OpenSuse, Debian, Ubuntu do not distribute Cuda. Only Arch does it.
I never said anything about distribution nor repository. :)
By "support" i mean a user guide how to enable cuda in Solus. Any user who needs cuda can download nvidia toolkit by him/her self, but at the moment i don't really know if this can be installed in current Solus.

Code: Select all

Laptop System: MSI GP72 2QE
UEFI [Legacy]
Quad core Intel Core i7-5700HQ
Graphics:  Card-1: Intel HD Graphics 5600
Card-2: NVIDIA GM107M [GeForce GTX 950M]

Return to “Multimedia”