GumbyDamnIt!

Browser Codecs

Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:15 pm

I'm a complete noob on this subject, so I am hoping that someone can educate me. 98% of the time, I have no problems, whatsoever, watching YouTube vids. Periodically, I will come across a vid that simply will not play, accompanied by a message indicating that my browser does not support any of the available formats. A link accompanies this message, which probes the browser to determine which codecs are supported. When I experience this issue, the link says that H.264 and MSE & H.264 are not supported.

Last night I came across this problem. A specific YouTube vid refused to play on Vivaldi and it also refused to play on Opera. It played just fine on Chrome and Firefox, however. As usual, the probe said that I had no H.264 support. I looked in the Software Center and I have the x264 codec installed, so I'm not sure what to make of this.

I had a look at the Vivaldi forum and lots of people are complaining that they have no video playback and the solution is to install the H.264 codec from this site: https://gist.github.com/ruario/bec42d156d30affef655

So, this morning, the vid that would not play is now playing just fine on both Vivaldi and on Opera!!! In the meanwhile, I have not updated my distro, rebooted my machine, restarted Vivaldi, installed/removed any codecs, or done anything else, which would seemingly affect this problem. The response that I received on the Vivaldi forum is that I need to install the H.264 codec mentioned above and that if that doesn't sort my problem, the vid must be wrapped in DRM. DRM? Why would Gamer's Nexus https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChIs72 ... 6d6FhwGGHA be wrapping their vids in DRM?!?!?!

Does anyone have any insights, or suggestions that may may help me to better understand why this is happening?

BTW - I do not have Flash installed.

kyrios

Re: Browser Codecs

Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:07 pm

No problem to play the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DJdkDms7Y0 on firefox.

sunnyflunk
Development Team

Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:21 am

GumbyDamnIt! wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:15 pm
I'm a complete noob on this subject, so I am hoping that someone can educate me. 98% of the time, I have no problems, whatsoever, watching YouTube vids. Periodically, I will come across a vid that simply will not play, accompanied by a message indicating that my browser does not support any of the available formats. A link accompanies this message, which probes the browser to determine which codecs are supported. When I experience this issue, the link says that H.264 and MSE & H.264 are not supported.

Last night I came across this problem. A specific YouTube vid refused to play on Vivaldi and it also refused to play on Opera. It played just fine on Chrome and Firefox, however. As usual, the probe said that I had no H.264 support. I looked in the Software Center and I have the x264 codec installed, so I'm not sure what to make of this.

I had a look at the Vivaldi forum and lots of people are complaining that they have no video playback and the solution is to install the H.264 codec from this site: https://gist.github.com/ruario/bec42d156d30affef655

So, this morning, the vid that would not play is now playing just fine on both Vivaldi and on Opera!!! In the meanwhile, I have not updated my distro, rebooted my machine, restarted Vivaldi, installed/removed any codecs, or done anything else, which would seemingly affect this problem. The response that I received on the Vivaldi forum is that I need to install the H.264 codec mentioned above and that if that doesn't sort my problem, the vid must be wrapped in DRM. DRM? Why would Gamer's Nexus https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChIs72 ... 6d6FhwGGHA be wrapping their vids in DRM?!?!?!

Does anyone have any insights, or suggestions that may may help me to better understand why this is happening?

BTW - I do not have Flash installed.
Vivaldi and Opera on Linux have h.264 support disabled in their bundled ffmpeg (it is completely separate from the system). What the solution above is meant to do, is to override their ffmpeg with one that has support. Apparently that doesn't cover DRM stuff, so it'll be difficult to use many websites.

Firefox and Chrome likely have no issues (unsure if you have to select to use the DRM stuff in firefox or whether it's on by default.

GumbyDamnIt!

Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:24 pm

sunnyflunk wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:21 am

Vivaldi and Opera on Linux have h.264 support disabled in their bundled ffmpeg (it is completely separate from the system). What the solution above is meant to do, is to override their ffmpeg with one that has support. Apparently that doesn't cover DRM stuff, so it'll be difficult to use many websites.

Firefox and Chrome likely have no issues (unsure if you have to select to use the DRM stuff in firefox or whether it's on by default.
I get the part about Vivaldi and Opera not including native H.264 support, much as they also do not include native Flash support. I thought, perhaps erroneously, that Vivaldi and Opera would use the system's x264 codec. They are certainly using something, as the issue is intermittent. Please help, if I have fundamentally misunderstood this.

My visit to http://demo.castlabs.com confirms that Vivaldi does not support DRM by default and I'm OK with that. As far as I'm concerned, if someone wraps their sh*t in DRM, I'm not interested in viewing it. But, I digress. I'm confident that casual podcasters aren't wrapping their weekly TechNews podcast in DRM, nor is YouTube. Even if they were, why would they wrap it in DRM last night, only to unwrap it this morning. That just doesn't make sense.

The bottom line of what I am wrestling with is why would a YouTube vid not play, due to a lack of H.264 support and then twelve hours later, that same exact vid plays with no drama whatsoever. All the while, it plays in Chrome and Firefox. Now that this vid is displaying in Vivaldi and Opera, I have no way to do any further investigation. :x So, perhaps there is just no good answer this time around and being mindful that there are more pressing battles to fight, it's time to move on.

Thanks for your feedback!

putsan

Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:28 am

It is a pity that so far nobody has answered how to fix it :cry:
Generally, you can turn on support for these codecs at this time?

robgriff444

Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:16 pm

I had a problem in Vivaldi with H.264 and I created a post with the solution - see if this helps.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=11197

Also, I read somewhere on a Vivaldi forum that Youtube encodes it's videos in a sequence with H.264 1st and Flash later so if you can't view a Youtube video soon after it's posted it's because it's in H.264 only but if you wait a while it will work because it will be in H.264 AND Flash. I've experienced this myself but after I ran the fix above this symptom disappeared completely.

Return to “Multimedia”