bluvisnu

over heating

Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:37 pm

Sometimes my laptop freezes due to over heating because the fan doesn't always start to cool the system down, even after installing TLP the problem is the same, the fan remembers to do its job only after a reboot.

kyrios

Re: over heating

Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:38 pm

bluvisnu wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:37 pm
Sometimes my laptop freezes due to over heating because the fan doesn't always start to cool the system down, even after installing TLP the problem is the same, the fan remembers to do its job only after a reboot.
Unless you're experienced with TLP, it might cause more problems than it actually solves.
Did you check in the firmware (BIOS) of your machine if this could be configured ?
Also check for dust or for thermal paste that should eventually be renewed.

bluvisnu

Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:33 pm

I will remove TLP then, it makes no difference anyway, no dust, and my laptop is just a year old, do you really think I should change the thermal paste ?
And I m gonna check the BIOS.

kyrios

Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:17 pm

bluvisnu wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:33 pm
I will remove TLP then, it makes no difference anyway, no dust, and my laptop is just a year old, do you really think I should change the thermal paste ?
And I m gonna check the BIOS.
Probably not...

bluvisnu

Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:38 pm

i removed TLP and didn't find anything in the bios but now i can hear the fan turning when needed !

DNI_R

Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:20 pm

I don't know if that is connected, but when i run Solus, my laptop gets a bit hotter than when running windows. I can of course hear fans getting louder for example when installing applications from third-party category, so i don't really know where extra heat comes when in normal use. Is there an application that measures temperatures of the system in Linux?

kyrios

Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:26 pm

DNI_R wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:20 pm
I don't know if that is connected, but when i run Solus, my laptop gets a bit hotter than when running windows. I can of course hear fans getting louder for example when installing applications from third-party category, so i don't really know where extra heat comes when in normal use. Is there an application that measures temperatures of the system in Linux?
When you install application from 3rd party, the source are built on your machine, so depending on what you're installing it may be normal.

DNI_R

Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:00 am

So then i have to come back to this thread, because Solus does actually make my laptop run hotter than it does in windows. No freezing like post author had, but still laptop feels a bit hotter by touch than it is when i use WIndows. I thought it was due to high CPU usage of Chrome, but it seems i was misinterpreting "top" command.
So what actually can cause my laptop to run hotter than it does in windows doing simple tasks like browsing the internet, running discord in background. Can it be due to nvidia drivers somehow?

My specs:
Asus X550VB laptop;
i5-3230M CPU;
8GB RAM;
GT 740M GPU;
HDD.

Return to “Tutorials”