pulka103

Wine-Staging-Nine [download/repository]

Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:25 pm

So.... If anyone isn't happy with default Wine version in stable repo as I'm not.... there you go!
I've created a little repositor-ish(?) containing latest Wine-Staging with Gallium Nine patch:
https://github.com/pulka103/wine-staging-nine-solus

It's my first attempt to create package in my life.
Most of the time I was thinking "what the hell am I doing there" or actually getting to know Linux's filesystem.
Still dunno what does "stateless" mean or anything.... SOOOOOoo.... any tip will be more than welcome. :P (not to mention that most of .yml file is just rip-off)

As for now, you need to install "wine-staging-nine-32bit-devel" to make it work. Will fix it next release, I suppose. And enable VAAPI decoding.... and smooth fonts..... But not today! My PC is currently busy melting down cuz of compilation.
Last edited by pulka103 on Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kyrios

Re: Wine-Staging-Nine [download/repository]

Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:07 pm

pulka103 wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:25 pm
So.... If anyone isn't happy with default Wine version in stable repo as I'm not.... there you go!
I've created a little repositor-ish(?) containing latest Wine-Staging with Gallium Nine patch:
https://github.com/pulka103/wine-staging-nine-solus

It's my first attempt to create package in my life.
Most of the time I was thinking "what the hell am I doing there" or actually getting to know Linux's filesystem.
Still dunno what does "stateless" mean or anything.... SOOOOOoo.... any tip will be more than welcome. :P (not to mention that most of .yml file is just rip-off)

As for now, you need to install "wine-staging-nine-32bit-devel" to make it work. Will fix it next release, I suppose. And un-default GTK3 theming.... and smooth fonts..... But not today! My PC is currently busy melting down cuz of compilation.

Please remove this from your package.xml
replaces :
- wine

pulka103

Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:11 pm

Please remove this from your package.xml
Why? But if you say so.... I guess it's not making my wine the only one at once? :/

kyrios

Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:42 pm

pulka103 wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:11 pm
Why? But if you say so.... I guess it's not making my wine the only one at once? :/

because the aim of replace is different as explained on the help center
replaces dict(s) Replace one package with another, used when renaming or deprecating packages for clean upgrade paths

This being said, although I understand many people prefer wine staging and it's cool to share your work, I really don't think it is a good idea unless you manage to make your packages installable alongside the official solus wine packages without conflicting because when some user will mess up by installing both or whatever, I don't think you will be the one that will get headache trying to understand the problem and finding a way to solve it.

I know the intention is good but if many people start doing this, especially with packages that will likely conflict with packages that are in the official repository, it will become a chaos and the user experience will become very bad. This is just my two cents.. Perhaps you should talk about it with the solus team in IRC (if not yet done).

pulka103

Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:54 pm

kyrios wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:42 pm
because the aim of replace is different

I read it before, haven't seen anything that fit my needs. I had hope that this will do the trick anyway.
This being said, although I understand many people prefer wine staging and it's cool to share your work, I really don't think it is a good idea unless you manage to make your packages installable alongside the official solus wine packages without conflicting because when some user will mess up by installing both or whatever, I don't think you will be the one that will get headache trying to understand the problem and finding a way to solve it.

I know the intention is good but if many people start doing this, especially with packages that will likely conflict with packages that are in the official repository, it will become a chaos

Wait, wait, wait.
1) I know I am totally newbie but.... wouldn't the colliding just make all the work? You know, you've got Wine already installed, you try to install Wine-Staging and then there's prompt saying "You need to install: <dependencies>. Those packages are colliding and need to be removed: Wine (for example)". For me, it makes sense.
I was using Ubuntu before, never had problem juggling Wine versions: Wine(main repo)->Wine Staging(PPA)->Wine with Gallium Nine(PPA)->Wine Staging(PPA, same version as before).
2) I get your point on supporting the users, responsibility etc. but there's limit. I can't imagine you taking responsibility of third party repositories. Imagine Cannonical taking responsibility for all the PPAs, or Arch crew for AUR.... For me third party repos (I don't mean *that* tab in your SC :lol: ) were always "take caution, watch your step, we won't go with you by hand here".

Thanks for answer as always. Love when people aren't saying "just get the hell out of here, silly boy!". Making me want to know more! :D

Return to “Share All The Things!”