brent

Re: In full sail

Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:06 am

GreenMartian wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:16 am
Hypothetically,

The CEO of the company avoids the office for 3 months. His CFO, CTO and rest of the management team go to work every day without knowing why the CEO is absent. Since there's no board of directors, the CEO can do what he/she desires without risk of being fired. Since the CEO has assembled a good management team, they chose to run the company the best they can in order to serve their dedicated customers. They dedicate, they cover and work untl they have no choice but to meet, discuss and take control of the operation. If they don't, their own credibilty is at risk because of association to the business in which they're dedicated to. Glitches occur and they have fixed costs that need attention, which they are covering the best that they can.

The team struggles with much effort and personal time to get access to the business financial account. They see some good ching in payouts over the last three months and are left with only pocket change to run the operational costs.

After some time away, the CEO sends an e'mail to a 3rd party website declaring he/she no longer has the key to the company safe and could no longer access it even if he/she could. No more, no less. The only gift the CEO can offer his company after an unexcused absence is a brand name which he/she has personally tarnished. That's all folks.

The champion management team decides to march on, but must do so at least temporarily, without knowing how the fixed expenses will be covered. The customers are glad their favorite product will still be available, but now must consider the possibility of changing to a new brand. But, they're still disappointed and have the right to question whether their donation have been expended solely for the project. The CEO went AWOL for a few months for private reasons.

To Solus patrons: You were offered a transparent, detailed history breakdown of the Patron account activity by the new management team. Are you satisfied with the level of transparency and detailed financial history that was provided by the founder in his open letter relative to your donations? Perhaps that important transparency was forgone by simple oversight.

Been around the block a few times. :lol:

Things do change and time never stands still.

GM
Dear GreenM--as someone who has been around the block in life and in here....your first two letters capture what the problem appears to be. And if I was as succinct as you, this would have been exactly as I saw it/would write it, given the chance. Congrats to Solus (Full Sail) article for their transparency.

The 3rd-party "Friend of Solus" letter is bizarre, no doubt.
Only the team knows what that stuff was all about and they were as transparent as they wanted to be.
Some parts of this tale will remain cryptic and changed whimsically as legend progresses.

I've loved this OS and used it almost exclusively for 2 years, bumps (on my part) and all.
Hate to see it end.
I am widely ridiculed around here recently (see my letter in 'ideas') for attempting to send Solus monthly cash for maintenance.
After reading all this crap I'm not sorry a bit for offering and I still make the offer.

As you described it, again, is pretty much the way I see it. I hope this remains a vibrant distro that does not get co-opted by those with ill intention.
If Solus becomes compromised I will be officially jaded.

**by co-opted I mean swallowed up by a huge, rich collaborator in order to survive

fishscuttles

Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:24 pm

SLmanDR wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:20 am
https://getsol.us/2018/10/27/in-full-sail/
Nicely done team. I appreciate the updater and am concerned for Ikey. It was with several back-and-forths I deleted my Patreon.
Fair sail going forward. Give us a shout if you need anything.
Thanks for thee link.

kucharczyk

Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:43 pm

I'm glad there was some response from Ikey but everything about the open letter is completely bizarre.

Why post it anywhere else but here? He says it's needless to explain why he lost access to his accounts when it's actually necessary because we have zero idea why anyone would lose access to their accounts. Literally, I have no idea how that could even happen to more than one account at the same time. Then the ending note about Linux community is also completely out of left field :D :?:

donblanco

Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:59 pm

GreenMartian wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:16 am
The team struggles with much effort and personal time to get access to the business financial account. They see some good ching in payouts over the last three months and are left with only pocket change to run the operational costs.
Being new here, and not knowing who Ikey was until maybe a week ago, I have no vested interest in the personalities involved. The team's response and transparency gave me the assurance to go ahead and dive in, in spite of the recent controversy. But the finances are the one question that remains. Specifically, regardless how one feels about Ikey on a personal level, it doesn't appear that he has made any substantial contribution to the project since March, yet all the money left the Patreon account. Tens of thousands of dollars. If the team gets most of that back, then all is well. If it's already in Ikey's bank account then that's a whole 'nuther kettle of fish.

I certainly hope the team is as transparent with the PayPal transaction history as they were with the Patreon history.

kyrios

Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:13 pm

donblanco wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:59 pm
it doesn't appear that he has made any substantial contribution to the project since March, yet all the money left the Patreon account. Tens of thousands of dollars. If the team gets most of that back, then all is well. If it's already in Ikey's bank account then that's a whole 'nuther kettle of fish.

I certainly hope the team is as transparent with the PayPal transaction history as they were with the Patreon history.

I don't know how you got to that conclusion but ikey was active on the project until +/- mid-july.
Regarding paypal, there will be a blog post when there will be more info about it.

donblanco

Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:20 pm

kyrios wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:13 pm
I don't know how you got to that conclusion but ikey was active on the project until +/- mid-july.
Regarding paypal, there will be a blog post when there will be more info about it.
I was more or less going by the timeline presented in the blog post/audio, plus a bit of guessing. :roll:

Return to “General Chit-Chat”