dbarron

Simple monitoring

Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:26 pm

Long long ago, in a galaxy far away, I used to use a very simple web based monitoring tool that would allow me some basic health checks on processes, memory, disk usage, etc. My unreliable memory for 23 or 24 years back seems to recall part or all the name being bb. Oh, immediately after posting, I recalled, it was Big Brother. Wiki tells me it became Xymon, so that may be a direction for me to go...but will love hearing what other people may know?

Yesterday, I fumbled around with pandorafm (finally abandoned when I found the most recent mysql they support 5.3? or 5.1? anyway too ancient), then I got zabbix running this morning and realized this is way complicated and overkill to monitor my home growing home network.

Does anyone have recommendations for something simple for monitoring?

I mean I would like two or three machines to report memory, processes, etc, then most others being net appliance types, just a ping test. Very basic :)

brent

Re: Simple monitoring

Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:54 am

This is a complex post for some strange niche software, at least in my eyes.
Let me explain.
Suricata and Bro are complicated. I'm not sure they monitor multiple environments.
Wireshark less complicated but you could swim in that data forever. Same multiple concern as above.
2 out of these 3 are over my head.

What you want--from my interpretation of your post--is software (or hardware) that monitors multiple devices (PCs, phones, etc) AND all IOT devices (modern digital appliances you said) in a single network or household, presumably reporting all data back to an app or wireless program directly to whom runs the household.

I'm a layman, so I'm curious if you get an answer. It's very interesting to me if a central brain for this type of things has been developed. I read at gizmodo that Msft is close but it's proprietary of course. And I read that a year ago...

dbarron

Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:07 am

I suspect you're probably right. Though, as our lives get more digitally connected, this could become a need. Hee, I hate things that beep, buzz, etc, so I would prefer a passive monitoring system instead of our devices telling me directly that something is wrong with them. Weird I know ;)

Justin
Development Team

Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:38 pm

Run a web server on host, setup a systemd timer to export that data to some very basic html, done. Could even export the data to /tmp/ so it never hits the disk.

Return to “General Chit-Chat”