Benji Brigs

Best budgie os?

Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:59 am

Hi all!

Im super new to linux. There are so many distributions its challenging to make a decision of what to give a go.

I really love the budgie environment and am interested to know opinions of other distributions running it in comparison to Solus.

Anyone who has given the other budgies a good test out?

kyrios

Re: Best budgie os?

Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:12 am

Benji Brigs wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:59 am
Hi all!

Im super new to linux. There are so many distributions its challenging to make a decision of what to give a go.

I really love the budgie environment and am interested to know opinions of other distributions running it in comparison to Solus.

Anyone who has given the other budgies a good test out?

It is often a good idea to stick as close as possible to the source to get the best experience IMHO. So Solus is the best option for Budgie. This especially since Budgie development fully came back under the Solus-project umbrella

danielson

Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:23 am

Budgie is to Solus just like Cinnamon is to LinuxMint (Gnome to Fedora and MATE to Ubuntu?).
Not sure where to hook up XFCE as it does quite well on many.

kyrios

Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:25 pm

danielson wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:23 am
Budgie is to Solus just like Cinnamon is to LinuxMint (Gnome to Fedora and MATE to Ubuntu?).
Not sure where to hook up XFCE as it does quite well on many.
MATE team is close to Linux Mint.
Ubuntu was Unity

danielson

Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:06 pm

To be honest, Ubuntu muffed things up big time by choosing Gnome as substitute (and i'm not the only one to think this).
LinuxMint is doing a good job at making Ubuntu better and i'm glad to see them upkeeping their own separate LXDE as eventual replacement.

Solus Budgie is probably at present, one of the best ways to get away from the whole Ubuntu instability.

Btw, if i would cast an XFCE player, it would be for Manjaro.

kyrios

Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:23 pm

danielson wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:06 pm
To be honest, Ubuntu muffed things up big time by choosing Gnome as substitute (and i'm not the only one to think this).
LinuxMint is doing a good job at making Ubuntu better and i'm glad to see them upkeeping their own separate LXDE as eventual replacement.

Solus Budgie is probably at present, one of the best ways to get away from the whole Ubuntu instability.

Btw, if i would cast an XFCE player, it would be for Manjaro.
Gnome was the most logical choice for Unity replacement: Unity is based on Gnome, their devs know GTK+ very well and they already use gnome ecosystem applications. They dropped Unity to make savings, so what was the other choices ?

Regarding Mint, what I personally don't like is that their flagship products receive lot of attention but not their less popular products. The KDE & Xfce editions were released later and finally the KDE edition was suddently stopped, LMDE has always be a kind of playground but has never been really polished. It is sad that it doesn't receive as much love as the Ubuntu-based version.

Return to “General Chit-Chat”