csreindeer

for those whose main driver is solus why?

Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:20 pm

I was on my way looking for a stable rolling release distribution. I love arch based systems d ue to the modular aspects and rolling release, although they were way to buggy and unpolished for daily use/productivity. Despite being a tinkerer at heart, I am in two colleges and high school and sometimes I have to be actually productive. Some days i need my computer to just turn on and work. I could do that with arch, although I would install one thing and the whole system would just collapse. I would go and fix it and it was all good but that was a blow. I tried mint but could not deal with the outdated software and lack of modulelarity in the system. Also 19 came out the literal afternoon I installed 18.. I went back to arch but the system was the same old. I heard about you guys and it changed a lot. No only did get a stable Linux system, but a rolling release model is highly appreciated. I am a developer(using the term lightly) and sometimes I have to have cutting edge things. Also the amount they work with the community is amazing.

I switched to Linux since windows also collapsed, although windows it would take a whole new installation to fix, and since my hobby is Quantum Computer software development, I needed a much more RAM efficient kernel. The NT kernel windows has had since 1993 was a piece of crap.

I am wondering your thoughts on why you chose solus as a daily driver? Specifically what drew you towards it.
Stupid people are like the halting problem, no one knows if they will stop.

kyrios

Re: for those whose main driver is solus why?

Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:30 pm

csreindeer wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:20 pm
I was on my way looking for a stable rolling release distribution. I love arch based systems d ue to the modular aspects and rolling release, although they were way to buggy and unpolished for daily use/productivity. Despite being a tinkerer at heart, I am in two colleges and high school and sometimes I have to be actually productive. Some days i need my computer to just turn on and work. I could do that with arch, although I would install one thing and the whole system would just collapse. I would go and fix it and it was all good but that was a blow. I tried mint but could not deal with the outdated software and lack of modulelarity in the system. Also 19 came out the literal afternoon I installed 18.. I went back to arch but the system was the same old. I heard about you guys and it changed a lot. No only did get a stable Linux system, but a rolling release model is highly appreciated. I am a developer(using the term lightly) and sometimes I have to have cutting edge things. Also the amount they work with the community is amazing.

I switched to Linux since windows also collapsed, although windows it would take a whole new installation to fix, and since my hobby is Quantum Computer software development, I needed a much more RAM efficient kernel. The NT kernel windows has had since 1993 was a piece of crap.

I am wondering your thoughts on why you chose solus as a daily driver? Specifically what drew you towards it.
I read a few positive review about this independent distro build from scratch so when I got my new computer one and half year ago I decided to install it to try it on real & recent hardware. My intention was just to try it for a few days then wipe it and install the disto I was using on my old computer.

It was just at the moment when Solus switched to a rolling release model which was the perfect timing for me as very recent kernel & drivers were required for the brand new hardware I got that time (Kabylake CPU and Geforce GTX 1050M), so Solus was (and is still) working extremely well on my machine and what I did particularly appreciated is that the core team was very easily accessible, friendly and helpful. This is something I did really appreciated and what was supposed to be just a few day curiosity test became permanent. :D

I also wanted to contribute actively to something positive and I guess this was the perfect project. As it is still small compared to some other distro, there is still a huge magin of progression, as it's nice to participate in something that is still growing (I mean as opposite to something already well established). I do learn lot of things. It is also a serious project: things are done in the right was, it's not full of quick wins, workaround, the code is not made with only Solus in mind, but is rather agnostic so it can evolve and be adopted by other projects, things are released when they are ready and not because a deadline was given, etc. Solus is far from the small distributions created by just a person alone that just fork something existing and change the default theme/apps or that adds tons of third party repositories and suddenly vanishes after a few months or a few years in the best cases.

The curated rolling model is also very interesting: It's a good compromised between the true rolling releases that may easily break and that often receive useless updates (i.e. a version bumped to address specific Windows or macOS aren't pushed on Solus) and in addition to the core component that are always up-to-date, it allows to request application updates when needed without having to wait for the next point release.

mrazster

Re: for those whose main driver is solus why?

Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:59 pm

Answered a similar post in the forums, so I'll just qoute my self- :)
Lately I have been growing weary of canonical and it feels like they do weird stuff and take strange turns at every crossing. Wich for me has resulting in feeling like ubuntu and most of the "ubuntu flavours" (but mostly the ubuntu/Gnome combination) are getting bloated, and leaving kind of a bad taste in my mouth. Since I'm a person who like my OS sleek and kind of "streamlined" and fast/responsive I have always been trying to get as much as possible out of my computers, with overclocking and tweaking. At times I have been competing in overclocking with phasechangecooling and LN2 on the international arena. So when I look for a OS to run as my daliy driver I prefer distros where I feel the developers intentions and directions are heading in the same way as mine, making the distro fast, responsive and not to bloated with crapy software and bad/dirty fixes. But at the same time functional and easy to use.

As I pointed out before, lately canonical/ubuntu have been leaving a bad taste for me and since I planed to do a hardware upgrade last year I started to look around for another distro to switch to. After doing some "distrohoping", reading and youtubeing for a couple of months I decided that Solus Gnome was the one I'm going for. Tried out both Mate and Budgie, but decided that Gnome was the one to go with for my workstation/gaming rigg. I have also switched my other computers to Solus, Budgie on the HTPC and Mate on the laptop.

Return to “General Chit-Chat”