NeoMahler

Re: What drew you to Solus?

Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:49 am

I come from elementary OS Freya and installed Solus a couple of hours before the release of Loki. I saw that Solus was as fast as elementary (and it actually runs a bit faster in my laptop) but it came with better software (VLC!). I also liked the minimalism of Budgie, just a small top panel. And finally, that with elementary I have to wait around 4 years to fix bugs (they release a new version when Ubuntu releases a new LTS version) while Solus has a rolling-release system (Justin explained that to me yesterday, I think I understood it ^_^).

I'm a Linux fan, and now a Solus fan! :)

testmonkey

Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:30 pm

Cool idea to even have this thread here.

I think I'm different than most other Solus users in the sense that, although I like some of its features, they're not the primary reason I use it. And likewise there are some things I would change, but can live with. The real reason I use it is because it seems to be managed by a small team with close engagement to its users. Those maintainers seem to get the idea that bug fixes actually matter more than new features. Every, and I mean every, other Linux flavor has a pipeline over a year long which puts serious bug fixes in line behind a shitstorm of new and mostly annoying features targetted at a small minority of users. And for whatever reason, they don't seem to care about quality much, let alone have any sort of conversation with their users other than via sterile bug reports.

I don't need more junk to clog the UI, like Ubuntu's much-maligned side-menu thingy. And I certainly don't need an overwrought startup process that preemptively starts every driver under the sun, wasting tons of time and resources so that "instant on" sounds like an ironic joke instead of an industry mandate. Or, for that matter, a mountain of preinstalled assware like Mahjong and Mine Sweeper that just results in module update spam.

I guess you could say that I finally realized that the most important attribute of an OS is its developers and their willingness to engage their users. Every OS has proven buggy and insecure, given enough time. The difference, therefore, is not quality or even security at any given time, but rather the maintainers' willingness to fix problems, roughly in order of economic impact, and to add widely appealing new features when they have absolutely nothing better to do, or when a large enough plurality of users demands them.

Espionage724

Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:05 pm

• Budgie (I like it)
  • Performance (it's fast; start/shutdown times are the most significant thing I noticed, but even regular use is pretty snappy)
  • Package Manager (it's also fast)
  • Media playback out-the-box (no reliance on some large unofficial repo like Fedora and openSUSE)
  • Rolling (I like not having stale packages)
  • Not based on another distro (it's nice not seeing another Arch-with-a-GUI #3 or Ubuntu-clone-with-even-more-messy-packages #15 :p)
  • People involved with the project take time to respond to issues (not too many canned responses or RTFMs, from what I've seen so far anyway)
  • And most importantly... it works :)
Last edited by Espionage724 on Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

zaivala

Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:23 am

NeoMahler wrote:I come from elementary OS Freya and installed Solus a couple of hours before the release of Loki. I saw that Solus was as fast as elementary (and it actually runs a bit faster in my laptop) but it came with better software (VLC!). I also liked the minimalism of Budgie, just a small top panel. And finally, that with elementary I have to wait around 4 years to fix bugs (they release a new version when Ubuntu releases a new LTS version) while Solus has a rolling-release system (Justin explained that to me yesterday, I think I understood it ^_^).

I'm a Linux fan, and now a Solus fan! :)
I tried Loki last week. I could not get a number of my .deb packages to read -- elementaryOS' gDebi said the packages were empty, which they were not. Went back to Ubuntu MATE (it was either that or LinuxMint 18 MATE) and did not touch my Solus installation. I reported this to Daniel and the other elementaryOS developers, and they acted like I was crazy (which is entirely beside the point).

Ikey has scratched his head a few times over my posts, I'm sure, but I still feel welcome and valued over here. Sticking with Solus and watching it grow.

zingo

Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:30 am

The first thing I saw was Budgie. When the Chromebooks started to arrive back in the days, I found "my" interface. However, the Chromebooks are (were) too locked down for me. So then Budgie started to come along, using the same "get the f**k out of my way"-principle for a interface like the Chromebooks. The interface is for me all about launching applications and do it good. Budgie is right on the spot, easy to understand for new users as it manages to sort of include both Windows and Mac window behaviour at the same time. Start an application, see the icon pop up in the taskbar, right click and pin it... etc. Simple I know, but for me such things are essential. I am forced to jump back and forth between different computers and interfaces, so too much different behavior puzzles me.

And then Solus. This is the first attempt to build something new with Linux, with a base that I actually like and care about. Many so called "distros" are based on another "distro" that sometimes is based on another "distro"... While that approach has several advantages, my belief is that in order to create a truly successful desktop distro it would make sense to build it from scratch even though there is more work connected to it. Just look at the speed of this thing! Installed it on my 3-year old Chromebook (with hacked BIOS) and it runs like a charm. Just as fast as the more limited Chromebook interface...

I am currently using Ubuntu MATE as my daily driver for development in PHP/Web/Linux, but is following this project closely. Just so it happens, that MATE installation of mine has been configured to resemble a Budgie desktop (with the top panel moved to the bottom) :D

masetrax

Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:27 am

I want to get involved with contributing to a project and like the fact Solus is small and close-knit team, not split into 100 different sub-teams, and not with hard-to-follow, outdated Wiki pages.

I got answers when I asked on IRC quickly and concisely and I like the fact the packaging guide is laid out in easy to follow steps on YouTube - helpful as there are a few applications I want to package that I use.

It ships without the bloat you find in other distros, with sane defaults and skips the need for the user to build from the ground up. And Budgie is fantastic - simple and elegant.

ItsTheEnemyIneedHelp

Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:48 pm

I was looking into a website that lists the best linux distro, and Solus was nominated as best new comer distro, "Brand new built from scratch, that is open source and designed for the desktop". That got me attracted to this OS, I wasn't impressed with 1.1; then 1.2 came out and I thought "Wow, this is 10x better". I decided to install this OS and now I am getting the hang of it. The OS I was using before this is Windows 7 (I didn't upgrade to 10 btw).

Rufus Dexter

Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:06 pm

Yeah, for me it was the positive reviews on the linux distro testers on youtube and other sites. I wanted to try it out - had some trouble getting the iso into a bootable live disk, but managed - so I did try it and it was smashing fast, even compared to my previous ubuntu mate installation, which was not slow :)
To a certain extent I like mate more, but budgie is newer, fresher, so I'll stick with it at least for a while.
Also liked the fact that Ikey and Josh personally took the time to anwer some questions on comments sections and many other places.

ikey
Project Founder

Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:31 pm

Rufus Dexter wrote:Yeah, for me it was the positive reviews on the linux distro testers on youtube and other sites. I wanted to try it out - had some trouble getting the iso into a bootable live disk, but managed - so I did try it and it was smashing fast, even compared to my previous ubuntu mate installation, which was not slow :)
To a certain extent I like mate more, but budgie is newer, fresher, so I'll stick with it at least for a while.
Also liked the fact that Ikey and Josh personally took the time to anwer some questions on comments sections and many other places.
I can't wait until people get their hands on the next Budgie major version...... :twisted:

Impendus

Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:01 pm

When i first heard about Solus i was like "yeah, another Distro with another totally unique and great Desktop...." and didn't look into it any further and stayed with my beloved ubuntu. But Solus kept popping up on various Websites i frequently visit and i got curious. I did install on my laptop last week and instantly fell in love with it. It is fast and shiny, and with the exception of some usability-flaws and happy little bugs in Budgie, the Desktop is really functional and responsive. All the Software i need is in the repositories and startup and shutdown times are way better than on ubuntu on my machine. i'm eagerly awaiting the next Budgie Version, which i hope will make this fine Distro even better.

Thank you all for creating something beautiful :)

Return to “General Chit-Chat”