Dr@gonXP

What is your prefered Solus DE

Wed May 10, 2017 4:29 pm

Hi Guys,

As the topic says, what desktop environment (Budgie / Gnome / Mate) you prefer and a explanation, why?

Hope for many answers :D

hinoki

Re: What is your prefered Solus DE

Wed May 10, 2017 5:21 pm

Hi. I was originally interested in the Solus because of Budgie. It's great, but not so flexible as Gnome-shell with a heap of various extensions. So, now I use good old Gnome with "Dash to panel" extension, that make it looks like a Budgie without Raven sidebar. 8-)

p.s. Though Solus OS itself is almost perfect, I've used Fedora for the past four or five years, but now I migrated to more lightweight, smooth, responsive Solus.

nostos

Wed May 10, 2017 8:55 pm

Budjie without any hesitation. It is intuitive and sooo beautiful!!! :D
Falun Dafa is good

brent

Wed May 10, 2017 11:19 pm

Mixed feelings about Raven, but I love budgie otherwise. Had to use conky, I think, to center my clock on the top bar, which is where I spiritually need it.

Mate is recommended for an older OS like mine. In fact the first live usb I wrote for install was MATE. Nice, but not big and shiny like Budgie.

Gnome looks very enticing and someday may go there. It's just that the quick launch buttons that are centered vertically on the far left of the screen---that's very off-putting to me. I'm confident they can be got rid of/moved though....isn't that trite?

Perhaps at the end of the the day, a solus version (or any distro) is picked for function and personal aesthetic tastes alone. Don't know.

Good question. I look forward to seeing what answers you get because I'm curious as well.

Craig-toyoracer

Thu May 11, 2017 5:08 am

Budgie for me :D

Simple, clean and beautiful.

ps. brent - to move the clock in Raven = Budgie settings->panel->Applets->highlight Clock->Up arrow moves it to the left.
Last edited by Craig-toyoracer on Thu May 11, 2017 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AKTundra

Thu May 11, 2017 6:00 am

brent wrote:

Gnome looks very enticing and someday may go there. It's just that the quick launch buttons that are centered vertically on the far left of the screen---that's very off-putting to me. I'm confident they can be got rid of/moved though....isn't that trite?
There are some of us that like the throw to Unity. :)

But yes, if you open tweak tools -> Extensions -> Dash to Dock, it is mountable to any side. Or you can turn it off in its entirety.

Cheers!
Experience is what we get when we don't get what we want. And I have tons of experience...

reddit user : duffelbagninja
-<*>-

AKTundra

Thu May 11, 2017 6:17 am

Dr@gonXP wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 4:29 pm
Hi Guys,

As the topic says, what desktop environment (Budgie / Gnome / Mate) you prefer and a explanation, why?

Hope for many answers :D
I have two Lenovo G series laptops that were my kids (they have essentially returned them to me as they can't game on them). One runs Budgie, the other is now running Gnome. I may transition the Gnome one to Mate just to see what it is like. I keep pulling the Budgie one when I need to do something. TBH, I don't think it matters. I like that they are all fast enough. I do not know if that is the limited selection of apps (so I can't really screw it up) or if it is a deliberate choice of apps by the devs.

I was a Ubuntu user. When Shuttleworth announced that they were shuttering development on Unity and moving to Gnome with their next LTS, I began to look else where. At one point I was also using Bodhi Linux, then the dev went and had a family, got involved in MtG, decided he needed to rewrite the desktop, and, well, Bodhi began to feel like it was more of a hobby. Not that I blame the guy.

Work is centered on CentOS, so I also have some pull in that direction if I am going to shift distros. However, I keep coming back to Solus/Budgie. I may go and do CentOS as my servers (Plex/media wiki/ntp/dns/dhcp/OwnCloud/SpiderOak/mail/calibre) and Solus as my desktops.

On my desktop I have simple needs, but the app that I have invested time into is Encryptr, and I have Faith that the Solus dev team will get it working.

AKTundra. (Yes, I am in the Alaskan tundra.)
Last edited by AKTundra on Thu May 11, 2017 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Experience is what we get when we don't get what we want. And I have tons of experience...

reddit user : duffelbagninja
-<*>-

Micutio

Thu May 11, 2017 8:27 am

For me it has to be Budgie. I appreciate the look and it's sleekness.
A close runner up is Gnome, which is more customizable and just as pretty. But actually I can do without most of it's extensions.

Really looking forward to what changes the Budgie switch to QT may bring us.

placeboessence

Thu May 11, 2017 2:00 pm

MATE.

Mate's power management has more options than Gnome. It's still basic but at least I can set the system to do nothing when battery power is critically low and screen to go blank when lid is closed. Maybe a little detail but it matters to me, I move my laptop a lot. I don't care too much about Gnome's animations and other fireworks as Solus Mate looks really decent yet is so much more responsive. Budgie is similar to Gnome in that regard. I'm interested in the Qt version though. I really like KDE and used it on my previous notebook but I had to switch to MATE. Nvidia drivers with KDE gave me a headache. Notebook with Radeon card worked flawlessly with KDE though.

brent

Fri May 12, 2017 12:45 am

AKTundra wrote:
Thu May 11, 2017 6:00 am
brent wrote:

There are some of us that like the throw to Unity. :)

But yes, if you open tweak tools -> Extensions -> Dash to Dock, it is mountable to any side. Or you can turn it off in its entirety.

Cheers!
Thanks for the great info---in both your posts.

Return to “General Chit-Chat”