TheBeigeKnight

After installing Solus 3, can't boot into hard drive

Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:25 am

Hello, I am a Computer Support Technician student and have been experimenting with many distributions of Linux. I'm not a complete novice but I am very far from an expert and I'm hoping I can get some help with this very furstrating problem I've run into.

So I recently decided to try out Solus, mostly because I wanted to try out the Budgie desktop environment and just to try out a new distro. So I downloaded the latest version ISO, burned it to a USB flash drive, used that to boot into the live version and proceeded to install it, replacing a Linux Mint installation I was already running. Everything seemed to go fine during the installation, but when I tried to boot up after, I got an error saying it couldn't find an operating system. I made sure the everything was correct in the boot order, and it was.

So next I booted into an old drive with an old version of Ubuntu on it and tried to use that to format the other drive with Solus on it, but it was an old drive and I didn't know the root password needed to perform the formatting. So I decided to go ahead and try installing Solus on this old drive, figuring it was a problem trying to install it over Mint or something, I didn't think it through much. I ended up with the same exact situation, can't boot, system can't find operating system.

So then I figured the problem was Solus, so I tried installing Ubuntu with Budgie on the first drive, everything seemed to go fine, same problem.

So then I tried to using the USB boot stick with Ubuntu with Budgie on it to use Boot Repair, thinking it was a problem with the GRUB loader. No success there either.

Thinking maybe, somehow, it was Budgie, I tried installing lubuntu (Ubuntu with LXDE) on the first drive and still the same problem.

So that's where I am at the moment, I really hope someone can help me figure this out, this problem has been tedious and frustrating.

Thank you for any help you can give.

sunnyflunk
Development Team

Re: After installing Solus 3, can't boot into hard drive

Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:07 am

TheBeigeKnight wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:25 am
Hello, I am a Computer Support Technician student and have been experimenting with many distributions of Linux. I'm not a complete novice but I am very far from an expert and I'm hoping I can get some help with this very furstrating problem I've run into.

So I recently decided to try out Solus, mostly because I wanted to try out the Budgie desktop environment and just to try out a new distro. So I downloaded the latest version ISO, burned it to a USB flash drive, used that to boot into the live version and proceeded to install it, replacing a Linux Mint installation I was already running. Everything seemed to go fine during the installation, but when I tried to boot up after, I got an error saying it couldn't find an operating system. I made sure the everything was correct in the boot order, and it was.

So next I booted into an old drive with an old version of Ubuntu on it and tried to use that to format the other drive with Solus on it, but it was an old drive and I didn't know the root password needed to perform the formatting. So I decided to go ahead and try installing Solus on this old drive, figuring it was a problem trying to install it over Mint or something, I didn't think it through much. I ended up with the same exact situation, can't boot, system can't find operating system.

So then I figured the problem was Solus, so I tried installing Ubuntu with Budgie on the first drive, everything seemed to go fine, same problem.

So then I tried to using the USB boot stick with Ubuntu with Budgie on it to use Boot Repair, thinking it was a problem with the GRUB loader. No success there either.

Thinking maybe, somehow, it was Budgie, I tried installing lubuntu (Ubuntu with LXDE) on the first drive and still the same problem.

So that's where I am at the moment, I really hope someone can help me figure this out, this problem has been tedious and frustrating.

Thank you for any help you can give.
Is your machine UEFI?

You'll need to select the right bootloader from the UEFI menu. The Solus one will be called 'Linux Boot Manager'

TheBeigeKnight

Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:38 am

It's a Think centre M91p. I am uncertain but I think it is UEFI, it has a boot mode option in "BIOS" under which you can select UEFI, legacy, or auto. However none of those options made any difference. There is also no option to select a boot loader that I could find, and I was pretty thorough.

As an update, I actually managed to make one of my driver's bootable again by reinstalling a version of Mint from a couple months ago. I read some people having problems with some of the Linux kernels so I thought that might be it. So I installed Mint with no Internet connection to update from and it worked. I then updated everything manually, including the kernel, and it works fine.

I am uncertain if the kernel was really the problem somehow or what. I will try installing lubuntu with no updates on my other non-booting drive tomorrow and see if that works. I would like to try Solus if possible and maybe I can if I install it this way, I don't know.

Thank you for your reply.

geoffrey.A

Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:41 am

Couple things: a screenshot of the install drive using "gparted" would be helpful. We can see if you have an efi partition for starts. Additionally, I know the "Etcher" program does a default setup of the usb flash-drive for uefi or bios installs.

Finally, are you aware of what the hotkey is to invoke the UEFI boot menu? On many machines (like Acer for example) it's F12 which is pressed as soon as you see the manufacturers logo on the firmware screen. On System76 laptops, the special one-time uefi boot menu is called by pressing F7. Check your owners manual or online PDF for more info.

https://etcher.io/

Return to “Other Questions”