gohlip

Re: How to dual boot Windows from a Solus installation?

Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:13 pm

I said.
Use the right kernel and initrd file that you have.
The above is what I have. If you haven't updated, you may have an older kernel.
You used..(copied from my example..

Code: Select all

title   Solus  sda4
linux   /com.solus-project.current.4.19.12-106
initrd  /initrd-com.solus-project.current.4.19.12-106
options root=PARTUUID=c9eb187b-f2af-4212-bc3b-a0250d7b41d9 ro
Do you have 4.19? And are they 4.19.12-106?

You said...they are in a directory, not in boot. But in /boot/com.solus-project/com.solus-project.current.4.18.5-90 ? In sda1?

Then you should use...

title   Solus  sda4
linux   /com.solus-project/com.solus-project.current.4.18.5-90
initrd  /com.solus-project/initrd-com.solus-project.current.4.18.5-90
options root=PARTUUID=c9eb187b-f2af-4212-bc3b-a0250d7b41d9 ro
And loader.conf is

default Solus
timeout 20
editor 1
not
default Solus-current-4.18.5-90 (this line was already there)
timeout 20
editor 1

this line is already where? in loader.conf? There is no loader.conf previously. But never mind.

Zenurik

Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:44 am

gohlip wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:13 pm
I said.

Use the right kernel and initrd file that you have.
The above is what I have. If you haven't updated, you may have an older kernel.
You used..(copied from my example..
I'm so sorry for making it confusing, that was not the command I wrote, that was a quote of yours. This is mine now.

I messed up; tried to copy the kernels to /Boot but ended up moving them to inside an executable and they were gone. I removed "Linux Boot Manager and solus entries from efibootmgr and reinstalled the system again.

And loader.conf is[...]

not
default Solus-current-4.18.5-90 (this line was already there)
timeout 20
editor 1
this line is already where? in loader.conf? There is no loader.conf previously. But never mind.
I'm telling you, even now that I reinstalled this was already there in loader.conf

Now, doing the process again;
1 - I had to put the /boot line inside the /etc/fstab from sda4; following this entire post but changing the solus.conf locations, as you said here; to /com.solus-project/"kernel-version" & /com.solus-project/"initrd-verision" since these files were not inside the EFI/Boot folder.

2 - Going back up a bit, now that /boot is listed and my kernels are pointing to the right place, I followed the commands from here.
I was wondering why they were not working and you said to carry on, but, you see, they were not pointing to the mounted partitions:
It was sudo bootctl install --path=/dev/sda1 but should be sudo bootctl install --path=/mnt/boot. Once I did that the commands worked

live@solus ~ $ sudo bootctl install --path=/mnt/boot
Copied "/usr/lib/systemd/boot/efi/systemd-bootx64.efi" to "/mnt/boot/EFI/systemd/systemd-bootx64.efi".
Copied "/usr/lib/systemd/boot/efi/systemd-bootx64.efi" to "/mnt/boot/EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI".
Created EFI boot entry "Linux Boot Manager".
3 - Now I have 2 more boot entries listed on efibootmgr -v
  • Linux Boot Manager, created by sudo bootctl install --path=/mnt/boot and
  • solus, created by sudo efibootmgr -c -d /dev/sda -p 1 -L "solus" -l "\EFI\systemd\systemd-bootx64.efi"
I'm kinda writing this as a tutorial on how to get this working; mostly because I'm hoping it works, but to put everything in order as well.
Also, sorry for using a lot of image links; I know they are not reliable in the long term but without them the posts get too big/cluttered for me.
I'm going to restart the computer and luckly this is the end.

Zenurik

Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:35 am

OH MY GOD YES!!!!!! WE DID IT. FINALLY!!
Jesus christ the relief I'm feeling right now... Thank you, thank you so, so much @gohlip for your continued support through these five days. I wasn't really expecting anyone since this community is small but damn is it strong! I feel like I need to reward you in some way but I don't know how.

I was going to configure the system now, but it's kinda late here so I'll just leave a question;
You can see that there is "Solus sda4" and "Solus 3.9999" in the bootloader, I tried them both and only the second worked, the first was saying it could not find the kernels. Also, as I said before, the commands I did created two new UEFI boot entries and both now redirect to the Solus bootloader. So there's a duplicate that doesn't work. Do you know how can I clean it?

Seriously, you're now oficially my hero of the year. Thank you again <3

gohlip

Re: [SOLVED]How to dual boot Windows from a Solus installation?

Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:12 am

You're most welcome. I'm also relieved it worked for you. As for the reward, if you go on helping others, that should be reward enough, both for me and for you.

Re: Double entries, there are different 'places' (or types) of double entries.
If there are double entries in /boot/loader/entries/, just remove the unneeded entry.
If the double entries are shown in 'efibootmgr' like xxxx and yyyy
Do the command "sudo efibootmgr -b xxxx -B" to remove entry 'xxxx'
Be careful when you do this and select the correct unwanted entry.
Of course, you can leave them there and they do no harm.

Oh, in Solus, there can be frequent kernel updates.
Check that the new kernels are booted and if not, just change the kernel in /boot/loader/entries/Solus.conf.

Ciao!

Return to “Other Questions”