chouette
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:44 pm

Boot manager goes straight to Windows at startup

Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:22 pm

Hi,

I have just installed Solus and am very happy with it thus far (Windows just had a total freakout and Word was taking about 20 minutes to load!). However, when I turn on my computer, instead of showing the Linux boot manager, it boots straight to Windows. If I repeatedly press the esc key, at startup, to access BIOS/ UEFI stuff, I can access Solus by pressing F9 and finding it in the options. However, when I go to the boot settings to change boot order, it does not come up with separate entries for Windows and Linux - instead it just says 'OS boot manager'.

I installed Solus on a partition that previously contained Elementary OS (I have had brief flirtations with various distros before though, for various reasons, I have always returned to Windows) - I don't know if this had anything to do with it. On the list of boot managers that appear when I press F9, it also had Grub2Win which I misguidedly installed a while ago when I thought Grub was glitching as well as at least one old iteration of Grub/ Ubuntu (though I no longer have any working installations of Ubuntu on my laptop).

I'd really appreciate it if you guys had any knowledge of how I might be able to solve this,

Joe :)

User avatar
kyrios
Posts: 2288
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:20 pm

Re: Boot manager goes straight to Windows at startup

Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:40 pm

chouette wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:22 pm
Hi,

I have just installed Solus and am very happy with it thus far (Windows just had a total freakout and Word was taking about 20 minutes to load!). However, when I turn on my computer, instead of showing the Linux boot manager, it boots straight to Windows. If I repeatedly press the esc key, at startup, to access BIOS/ UEFI stuff, I can access Solus by pressing F9 and finding it in the options. However, when I go to the boot settings to change boot order, it does not come up with separate entries for Windows and Linux - instead it just says 'OS boot manager'.

I installed Solus on a partition that previously contained Elementary OS (I have had brief flirtations with various distros before though, for various reasons, I have always returned to Windows) - I don't know if this had anything to do with it. On the list of boot managers that appear when I press F9, it also had Grub2Win which I misguidedly installed a while ago when I thought Grub was glitching as well as at least one old iteration of Grub/ Ubuntu (though I no longer have any working installations of Ubuntu on my laptop).

I'd really appreciate it if you guys had any knowledge of how I might be able to solve this,

Joe :)
I am a bit confused. Using the boot manager from the UEFI is the right thing to do, but as you describe the problem it seems that it's your UEFI that doesn't save the boot order ?
This is most likely what you're looking for.

chouette
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:44 pm

Re: Boot manager goes straight to Windows at startup

Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:21 am

I tried that and it made a boot manager appear when I get to Solus however, to get to it, I still have to go the boot options in the BIOS/ UEFI startup menu.

Basically - when I go to boot options (F9) it lists "Linux Boot Manager" which, when I select it, takes me to Solus. However, when I go to edit the boot order (F10), it simply lists "OS boot manager" as the only boot manager available - there is no way to change the order, so the Solus boot manager appears above the Windows one. When I turn my computer on, if I don't access the startup menu, it boots to Windows straight away.

Sorry, it is a bit confusing - I'm not entirely sure what the exact problem is myself.

User avatar
kyrios
Posts: 2288
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:20 pm

Re: Boot manager goes straight to Windows at startup

Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:44 pm

chouette wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:21 am
I tried that and it made a boot manager appear when I get to Solus however, to get to it, I still have to go the boot options in the BIOS/ UEFI startup menu.

Basically - when I go to boot options (F9) it lists "Linux Boot Manager" which, when I select it, takes me to Solus. However, when I go to edit the boot order (F10), it simply lists "OS boot manager" as the only boot manager available - there is no way to change the order, so the Solus boot manager appears above the Windows one. When I turn my computer on, if I don't access the startup menu, it boots to Windows straight away.

Sorry, it is a bit confusing - I'm not entirely sure what the exact problem is myself.
Then it's something to do setup in the UEFI of your computer. Do you have a manual ?
If not, what's the brand/model of your laptop/motherboard so we can try to find it online ?

chouette
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:44 pm

Re: Boot manager goes straight to Windows at startup

Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:27 pm

I don't currently know where the manual is but it's an HP laptop and it's purple with a DVD drive and 4GB of ram. I seem to remember the name was a random string of letters but I can't remember what the they were. I bought it in 2015 if that helps.

I found this answer https://askubuntu.com/a/664137 and tried replacing "ubuntu" with goofiboot to see if that would work but it doesn't seem to have made any different. I'm about to try again. Thanks for your help.

geoffrey.A
Posts: 156
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:43 am

Re: Boot manager goes straight to Windows at startup

Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:05 am

So, if you turn the laptop upside down, do you see a tag or similar marker that lists the make (HP) and model of the Laptop???

A couple other things . . . from the software center, you should install the command line program "inxi" . . . and then in a Terminal window, type "inxi -Fx" and post the results.

chouette
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:44 pm

Re: Boot manager goes straight to Windows at startup

Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:55 am

OK, in my settings it says it is an HP 15 Notebook PC. I will go onto Solus now and perform that command.

chouette
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:44 pm

Re: Boot manager goes straight to Windows at startup

Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:22 am

Ok here it is:

System: Host: timothytankard Kernel: 4.14.17-50.current x86_64
bits: 64 gcc: 7.3.0
Desktop: Budgie 10.4 Distro: Solus 3
Machine: Device: laptop System: Hewlett-Packard product: HP 15 Notebook PC v: 0975100000405F00001620180 serial: N/A
Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 22CD v: 93.15 serial: N/A
UEFI: Insyde v: F.16 date: 05/30/2014
Battery BAT1: charge: 33.1 Wh 100.0% condition: 33.1/33.1 Wh (100%)
model: 11-85 OA04041 status: Full
CPU: Quad core AMD A4-6210 APU with AMD Radeon R3 Graphics (-MCP-)
arch: Puma rev.1 cache: 2048 KB

flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm) bmips: 14372
clock speeds: max: 1800 MHz 1: 1380 MHz 2: 1276 MHz 3: 1396 MHz
4: 1096 MHz
Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Mullins [Radeon R3 Graphics]
bus-ID: 00:01.0
Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.6 )
drivers: ati,amdgpu (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa,radeon)
Resolution: 1280x1024@60.02hz
OpenGL: renderer: AMD MULLINS (DRM 3.19.0 / 4.14.17-50.current, LLVM 5.0.1)
version: 4.5 Mesa 17.3.3 Direct Render: Yes
Audio: Card-1 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] FCH Azalia Controller
driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:14.2
Card-2 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Kabini HDMI/DP Audio
driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:01.1
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.14.17-50.current
Network: Card-1: Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter
driver: ath9k bus-ID: 03:00.0
IF: wlo1 state: up mac: 30:10:b3:59:62:e7
Card-2: Realtek RTL8101/2/6E PCIE Fast Ethernet controller
driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: 2000 bus-ID: 04:00.0
IF: enp4s0 state: down mac: 34:64:a9:c7:20:ef
Drives: HDD Total Size: 1000.2GB (0.5% used)
ID-1: /dev/sda model: ST1000LM024_HN size: 1000.2GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 109G used: 4.9G (5%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda6
Sensors: None detected - is lm-sensors installed and configured?
Info: Processes: 180 Uptime: 20 min Memory: 1711.5/3391.3MB
Init: systemd Gcc sys: N/A Client: Shell (bash 4.4.01) inxi: 2.3.38

chouette
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:44 pm

Re: Boot manager goes straight to Windows at startup

Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:05 pm

chouette wrote: Ok here it is:

System: Host: timothytankard Kernel: 4.14.17-50.current x86_64
bits: 64 gcc: 7.3.0
Desktop: Budgie 10.4 Distro: Solus 3
Machine: Device: laptop System: Hewlett-Packard product: HP 15 Notebook PC v: 0975100000405F00001620180 serial: N/A
Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 22CD v: 93.15 serial: N/A
UEFI: Insyde v: F.16 date: 05/30/2014
Battery BAT1: charge: 33.1 Wh 100.0% condition: 33.1/33.1 Wh (100%)
model: 11-85 OA04041 status: Full
CPU: Quad core AMD A4-6210 APU with AMD Radeon R3 Graphics (-MCP-)
arch: Puma rev.1 cache: 2048 KB

flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm) bmips: 14372
clock speeds: max: 1800 MHz 1: 1380 MHz 2: 1276 MHz 3: 1396 MHz
4: 1096 MHz
Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Mullins [Radeon R3 Graphics]
bus-ID: 00:01.0
Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.6 )
drivers: ati,amdgpu (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa,radeon)
Resolution: 1280x1024@60.02hz
OpenGL: renderer: AMD MULLINS (DRM 3.19.0 / 4.14.17-50.current, LLVM 5.0.1)
version: 4.5 Mesa 17.3.3 Direct Render: Yes
Audio: Card-1 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] FCH Azalia Controller
driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:14.2
Card-2 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Kabini HDMI/DP Audio
driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:01.1
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.14.17-50.current
Network: Card-1: Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter
driver: ath9k bus-ID: 03:00.0
IF: wlo1 state: up mac: 30:10:b3:59:62:e7
Card-2: Realtek RTL8101/2/6E PCIE Fast Ethernet controller
driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: 2000 bus-ID: 04:00.0
IF: enp4s0 state: down mac: 34:64:a9:c7:20:ef
Drives: HDD Total Size: 1000.2GB (0.5% used)
ID-1: /dev/sda model: ST1000LM024_HN size: 1000.2GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 109G used: 4.9G (5%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda6
Sensors: None detected - is lm-sensors installed and configured?
Info: Processes: 180 Uptime: 20 min Memory: 1711.5/3391.3MB
Init: systemd Gcc sys: N/A Client: Shell (bash 4.4.01) inxi: 2.3.38
kyrios wrote: Then it's something to do setup in the UEFI of your computer. Do you have a manual ?
If not, what's the brand/model of your laptop/motherboard so we can try to find it online ?
Is this any help?

Return to “Other Questions”