OsDictator

SOLVED: Can I point solus-mate to new efi-partition, after trashing my EFI system with Solus Plasma?

Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:04 am

Hi.

I originally posted this reply in an other thread, because I to did not follow the guidelines for installing solus alongside windows7 with UEFI:
Re: SOLVED: clr-boot-manager can't update the kernel

Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:09 pm
I have the same problem. Usually I can just mount the efi partition and delete the old kernels, and then do the update. But now it seems to be stuck on two and a half kernel (three kernel files and two initrd files).

How can I clear out these old kernels to make room, and is possible to point my old installation to a new and larger partition, as I should have done before installing?
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=10828

I then thought it finally was time to try out the Solus Plasma image. This made things even worse. This time i followed the guidelines for installing alongside windows, and created an 512mb fat32. When I rebooted, all my UEFI entries were gone. Solus Plasma was installed, and it seemed like it had used the fat32 partition I had created for it. I tried the "boot rescue" in help center, to rescue my old installation:

https://solus-project.com/articles/trou ... rescue/en/

I tried chroot in to my old solus-mate installation and run "sudo clr-boot-manager update" to make it use the newly created efi-partition on sda4. Later the old efi-partition on sda1. Non of it worked, i still had no bootentries in my UEFI. Lastly I removed the solus plasma partition, used an image to recreate windows, which cleared out the original efi on sda1, so it now only holds the files for windows booting. Only windows boots now.

Can I in any way create a new efi-partition for my old solus-mate, and make it boot again?
Last edited by OsDictator on Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OsDictator

Re: Can I point solus-mate to new efi-partition, after trashing my EFI system with Solus Plasma?

Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:54 pm

gohlip wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:06 pm
No.
Ha ha, well, that simplifies things a lot :lol:
I still have a copy of the original solus-mate efi files from the sda1 efi-partition. And the sda1 efi-partition is still there in its original for from just before I installed solus-mate onto the disk. Shouldn't I be able to chroot into my solus-mate system, and run the "sudo clr-boot-manager update" command, and get my system booting again, using sda1?

gohlip

Re: Can I point solus-mate to new efi-partition, after trashing my EFI system with Solus Plasma?

Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:17 pm

You can try, but you said you have thrashed the efi partition. That contains kernels and initrd files.

If you thrashed it, you cannot fix it.
But you can try and I'll be happy to be wrong. :)

OsDictator

Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:02 pm

gohlip wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:17 pm
You can try, but you said you have thrashed the efi partition. That contains kernels and initrd files.

If you thrashed it, you cannot fix it.
But you can try and I'll be happy to be wrong. :)
I'd love you to be wrong, but so far I haven't had any success in my attempts. But I thought it to be possible. I did copied the content of the efi-partition(kernels and initrd) some time a go, before it all went wrong with me trying out solus-plashma(with its own efi-partition) alongside windows and solus-mate. I copied these files back onto the original efi-partition, but that didn't do the trick, UEFI did not reconize any of it. Then I tried chroot into solus-mate to run the rescue procidure described in the solus help center. Didn't work ither. I will give it another try, now I have restored windows and its EFI-partition with macrium reflect. This time I will use an solus-mate boot stick in stead of mate-plasma. Don't know if that makes any difference.

OsDictator

Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:35 pm

Now writing from my old solus-mate installation, SO HAPPY :mrgreen:

I simply had to go into my UEFI, and ad the path manually. So now I am booting from the 512mb efi-partition sda4 instead of the 100mb windows-efi on sda1.

What I did:

1. Booted into solus live media.
2. Created a new efi-partition as mentioned here:
https://solus-project.com/articles/inst ... /disks/en/
3. Followed the boot rescue procedure described here, using my newly created efi-parttion:
https://solus-project.com/articles/trou ... rescue/en/
4. Wrote down the path of BOOTX64.EFI, located on my shiny new and updated efi-partition.
4. Rebooted into my systems UEFI, and manually created a new entry pointing to my new efi-partiton, and the position of BOOTX64.EFI looking like this:
\EFI\Boot\BOOT\BOOTX64.EFI
(might be case sensitive, took no chance)

And wholla!

gohlip thanks for your time and support in my darkest hour by the way ;)

gohlip

Re: SOLVED: Can I point solus-mate to new efi-partition, after trashing my EFI system with Solus Plasma?

Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:07 am

I'm certainly glad you've got your solus mate working again.

Congratulations, cheers and take care.

Return to “Other Questions”