lebjortvedt

Solus boots into emergency mode after updates

Mon May 29, 2017 8:14 pm

After installing the newest updates today (May 29.) I am greeted with the emergency mode.
The output of journalctl -xb is here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xgsezqdkjufzb ... 7.jpg?dl=0

I have no idea what's wrong - any suggestions?

sunnyflunk
Development Team

Re: Solus boots into emergency mode after updates

Tue May 30, 2017 12:24 am

lebjortvedt wrote:
Mon May 29, 2017 8:14 pm
After installing the newest updates today (May 29.) I am greeted with the emergency mode.
The output of journalctl -xb is here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xgsezqdkjufzb ... 7.jpg?dl=0

I have no idea what's wrong - any suggestions?
It appears the issues isn't in the first 66 lines shown. Are you able to boot into the older kernel? On grub it will be an alternative boot option. IF UEFI, may need to spam space to have the boot menu appear.

lebjortvedt

Tue May 30, 2017 9:00 am

Both kernel versions are listed in the boot menu, but they give the same result.
I can see if there are more lines that give more meaning.

ryangorley

Tue May 30, 2017 8:58 pm

I had a similar issue. Page down in your journal to see if it has to do with discrepancies in your drives (I cannot remember the exact error at the moment). As recommended in the error itself I ended up running:

Code: Select all

fsck

Which required me to fix a bunch of stuff. I was able to get into Solus. Then I ran:

sudo eopkg check

Which listed some bad repos. Then one-by one I did:

sudo eopkg install --reinstall package-name-here

I don't know if the bad packages were part of the problem. But that seems to have cleared things up for me. See if you're getting the same error and if this then does the trick for you.
Last edited by ryangorley on Wed May 31, 2017 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Managing partner at a FOSS-powered 3D rendering and web interaction studio. Marketing Team Organizer for Inkscape.

lebjortvedt

Wed May 31, 2017 3:37 pm

Thanks for the tips :)
It was something with the file system of an internal disk (not root or home partiton, a disk used for storage only). The journal was invalid, and I couldn't mount it in Solus or through a live disk.

As I have also had some problems with the EFI partition being too small I decided to grab a beer and reinstall. Kept the home partition and the system was back up again pretty quickly. I reformatted the damaged filesystem to not spend too much time on that (restoring files was quicker than troubleshooting).

Elvanex

Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:06 pm

I know this is an older post, but I just thought I'd mention that is isn't necessary to reinstall broken packages one at a time. This command will automatically check for, and reinstall all broken packages at once.

sudo eopkg it --reinstall $(LC=ALL eopkg -N check 2>/dev/null | grep -E "Broken$" | cut -d ' ' -f 4 | tr '\n' ' ')
It could take a while to run, so be patient.

Return to “Other Questions”