gevera

Solus as a Webdeveloper Platform

Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:04 pm

As of right now, Solus is considered to be:
an operating system that is designed for home computing. Every tweak enables us to deliver a cohesive computing experience.

It si also:
Designed for Everyone

Solus provides a multitude of experiences that enable you to get the most out of your hardware.
IMHO, the definition is vague and it is quite similar to any other distros out there. There is not enough differentiation. It doesn't stand out from the saturated crowd.

As the saying goes:
He who chases two rabbits catches none
Or here are some more:

I believe that the key to success is to focus on a single niche. To be number one at it. Do one job extremely well, better than anybody out there. It is called a leader in its domain

Tending to everybody whelms and needs is impossible since everybody has different requirements and understanding of what they want.

My suggestion to Solus project is to pick a niche, and in this case, it could be web-developers and cater to their needs.

Why web developers and not somebody else?

Because Solus, since it is based on GNU/Linux has all the tools necessary for an aspiring web-developer.
Where one can argue that graphic design or video production is still lacking behind other platforms, development tools are the core strength of GNU/Linux and hence Solus.

How to do that? Be as friendly as possible to the folks in this category.

As an option, at the installation process or maybe right after the install, have the user select his choice of:

- Browser: Firefox/Chrome/Opera etc
- IDE: Sublime/Atom/VS Code etc.
- Framework: Node/Laravel/Django/Ruby On Rails etc.
- Communication channel: Riot/Telegram/Ring etc.

Make an out of the box experience where developers feel at home. Without tweaking much.

Integrate online accounts as github &/or gitlab in Solus for a smoother workflow. Maybe even backup Solus config files to github/gitlab.

Besides traditional folders in Home like Documents and Downloads add another one by default called Projects

Make most of web frameworks (from composer, npm etc.) packages available in the Software Center with an option of 1-click install. Where all other distributions will require time and skill to install these frameworks, Solus will outperform them in convenience and speed.

These and other tweaks could position Solus as a distribution of choice for web developers out there that are debating which distribution to go with.

Regards

kyrios

Re: Solus as a Webdeveloper Platform

Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:08 pm

gevera wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:04 pm
As of right now, Solus is considered to be:
an operating system that is designed for home computing. Every tweak enables us to deliver a cohesive computing experience.

It si also:
Designed for Everyone

Solus provides a multitude of experiences that enable you to get the most out of your hardware.
IMHO, the definition is vague and it is quite similar to any other distros out there. There is not enough differentiation. It doesn't stand out from the saturated crowd.

As the saying goes:
He who chases two rabbits catches none
Or here are some more:

I believe that the key to success is to focus on a single niche. To be number one at it. Do one job extremely well, better than anybody out there. It is called a leader in its domain

Tending to everybody whelms and needs is impossible since everybody has different requirements and understanding of what they want.

My suggestion to Solus project is to pick a niche, and in this case, it could be web-developers and cater to their needs.

Why web developers and not somebody else?

Because Solus, since it is based on GNU/Linux has all the tools necessary for an aspiring web-developer.
Where one can argue that graphic design or video production is still lacking behind other platforms, development tools are the core strength of GNU/Linux and hence Solus.

How to do that? Be as friendly as possible to the folks in this category.

As an option, at the installation process or maybe right after the install, have the user select his choice of:

- Browser: Firefox/Chrome/Opera etc
- IDE: Sublime/Atom/VS Code etc.
- Framework: Node/Laravel/Django/Ruby On Rails etc.
- Communication channel: Riot/Telegram/Ring etc.

Make an out of the box experience where developers feel at home. Without tweaking much.

Integrate online accounts as github &/or gitlab in Solus for a smoother workflow. Maybe even backup Solus config files to github/gitlab.

Besides traditional folders in Home like Documents and Downloads add another one by default called Projects

Make most of web frameworks (from composer, npm etc.) packages available in the Software Center with an option of 1-click install. Where all other distributions will require time and skill to install these frameworks, Solus will outperform them in convenience and speed.

These and other tweaks could position Solus as a distribution of choice for web developers out there that are debating which distribution to go with.

Regards
Solus only targets destktop usage, not server, not a security oriented district or a media center distro. Focus is set on home computing and only x86_64 cpus are supported (no arm, no risc or 32bit cpu).
This makes Solus more specialized than many others distros and this is translated into concrete actions: offering a few very different desktops among which Budgie which has been designed with this specific aim. LSI is another example: it makes gaming experience better and gaming is a common usage of home computers.

PS: Designed for everyone means it will fits the needs of the beginners as well as of the advanced users, which is not the case of all the distributons.

gevera

Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:20 pm

What is Home Computing in your opinion?
I looked up online the definition and I can't find a proper explanation.

When it comes to desktop usage, so does elementary, mint, bodhi, lite, endless, bunsenlabs, mx, each of them being focused only on desktop, having they own unique ui. I am sorry, you haven't convinced me with that.

What I am trying to say that:

I know that Qubes and Tails are security oriented. Hands down.
I know Steam is gaming oriented.
openELEC is TV oriented.
Scientific is scientific oriented.
Edubuntu is education oriented.

There is no Web developer oriented distro, which is strange since lot's of developers use Linux. See https://insights.stackoverflow.com/survey/2018/ for additional info.

I believe Solus is a perfect fit and could become a leader for thousands of developers around the world.

For Home Computing you have Windows and Chrome OS. Good luck beating them at their own game

snork

Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:58 pm

gevera wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:20 pm
There is no Web developer oriented distro, which is strange since lot's of developers use Linux. See https://insights.stackoverflow.com/survey/2018/ for additional info.
I believe Fedora markets itself as developer distro.

Return to “Ideas”