donblanco

Forum replacement

Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:13 pm

I found one thread on this from over a year ago, but no action since. Yes, I know you guys have been busy. :)

The main issue I have with phpBB is the search. So far about 2/3 of the words I've searched for come back as being 'too common' - and searching via Google is just a major pain in the ass.

So I have been using a couple of Discourse forums lately - Manjaro and Pixls.us - They are easy, intuitive, visually appealing and I can use an iOS app to check for updates to threads.

Plus, to be frank, when I am checking out a software and I find some really old tech, like phpBB or an older version of vBulletin, it does not inspire confidence. It makes me wonder if the community is even particularly active. So there's that.

Any way, I'd love to see a modern forum here, especially one that allows normal and easy searching so that the same questions aren't asked every two weeks...

kyrios

Re: Forum replacement

Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:25 pm

donblanco wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:13 pm
I found one thread on this from over a year ago, but no action since. Yes, I know you guys have been busy. :)

The main issue I have with phpBB is the search. So far about 2/3 of the words I've searched for come back as being 'too common' - and searching via Google is just a major pain in the ass.

So I have been using a couple of Discourse forums lately - Manjaro and Pixls.us - They are easy, intuitive, visually appealing and I can use an iOS app to check for updates to threads.

Plus, to be frank, when I am checking out a software and I find some really old tech, like phpBB or an older version of vBulletin, it does not inspire confidence. It makes me wonder if the community is even particularly active. So there's that.

Any way, I'd love to see a modern forum here, especially one that allows normal and easy searching so that the same questions aren't asked every two weeks...

The forums will most likely be replaced with Flarum as explained in The Roundup #10 but don't expect anything soon, there are many other priorities.

donblanco

Re: Forum replacement

Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:58 pm

kyrios wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:25 pm
The forums will most likely be replaced with Flarum as explained in The Roundup #10 but don't expect anything soon, there are many other priorities.
I should probably go back through some recent blog posts... :oops:

I do like the overall look of Flarum.

Return to “Ideas”