KalinDimitrov

Re: Deepin edition for Solus

Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:31 pm

Devil505 wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:13 pm
Look what I found https://github.com/W-Floyd/solus-deepin :D

Also LXQT https://github.com/W-Floyd/solus-lxqt
Did you read that ?
Update - I tried poking at this some more, but Arch is lagging upstream and I can't be bothered to work on this too much. The effort of attempting to build and update and desktop stack at the same time is beyond me. Maybe someday...

Devil505

Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:03 pm

well, it seems it more difficult than expected. :D

W-Floyd

Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:34 am

Hey, I did the repos that were linked earlier, just thought I'd clarify some things here:

I did these as an exercise in packaging, knowing full well that they will not - and should not - be accepted upstream (that is, by the Solus devs). I do not have the time, experience, or, frankly, the interest, in maintaining things. There is a difference between having something run, and having a desktop fit for general use. If you've tried any of the arch spins with Deepin, you'll see what I mean - they're just not cohesive enough to be proud of shipping, IMO.

Deepin is a curious beast. The bits they wrote themselves tended to compile relatively easily, while the forked bits are a mess (namely, their verison of mutter than allows blurring conflicts with the real mutter than Solus ships - a big no-no). I have not tried it on bare metal yet, as I do not trust my packages. The only desktop app I have gotten running correctly is deepin-terminal. Deep down, I really do like what they're doing.

LXQt is pretty much usable, and seems easily built, but I do not recommend it. I have installed it on my own machine for testing, and no *big* issues to report (mainly with their file manager, no icons for folders and file types appear). Any other issues with it more to do with the desktop itself than my packaging - ie, HIDPI support is bad, because openbox headers being tiny. For me, that's a no-go.

Update: I've worked on and tried my Deepin packages on bare metal now, and I'm fairly impressed. For the record, what I said before still stands - this is just an experiment for no other purpose than my own titillation. Nevertheless, some screenshots: https://imgur.com/a/LoZGW

Update 2: So yeah, I've gotten *most* issues with my packages sorted. I'm running it as my main DE for now, but I do not recommend it to others. DPI seems a bit finicky (I have to kill Deepin programs and restart them after login to make them respect my settings). I'm keeping it up to date for the time being, seeing as no big, breaking changes are passing through, but I have the feeling I'll tire of the hobby eventually.

Update 3: Still working on this off and on, but a word of warning: it will almost certainly bork your DPI settings if you have any odd changes (I had to reinstall one of my machines due to this - though it was due for it anyway, I'd been fiddling too much)

Update 4 (2018-08-14): Yeah, I'm still "maintaining" the project, but I can't be bothered to do much deep cleanup or fixes to things. Still runs though, and some of the DPI things are less borked now (don't need restarting on each login).
Last edited by W-Floyd on Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:48 am, edited 3 times in total.

SleepyD

Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:21 pm

Hi. I understand what you are saying about the Deepin desktop environment. I really like it a lot. I haven't tried Deepin Linux. I run the community spin of Manjaro Deepin. I love it. You should give it a try. I had a couple of issues after running updates that I had to Google to fix. Not surprising since it is an Arch based distro.

Return to “Ideas”