fuzzyinterval

Long time linux user, new Solus

Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:43 pm

Hi all,

As the subject eludes to, I've been a linux user for over 20 years.
My first distro was what is now openSUSE (technically, back then it was a totally different distro, called "S.u.S.E", but you get the idea how long it's been).
I did go through a short Mac phase...but that was primarily because my then-employer was either "legitimate windows install, no VM" or Mac. I went with Mac -- I haven't willingly used or installed windows since 1996).
That same MacBook is running Solus now.

I'm no kernel hacker but rather consider myself a linux power user: while I'm using a DE (budgie), I always have a terminal window open to do "real work".
I've just never had a desire to delve neck deep in to linux (while I can compile applications, and have a 20,000 foot understanding of the kernel, source code, etc. I feel that as a power end-user, I have a BETTER and more useful understanding of Linux, it's pros, cons and foibles and successes.

In my spare time, I'm teaching myself Python (and I've made a few useful apps and web apps), play guitar, and as a recent new home owner, have been tasked with "smart homing" our abode (the house was built in 1956 so there are a handful of unique scenarios to work on to make that happen).

To bounce back to the linux side of my post, I really am enjoying Solus. The primary draw was that it is a rolling release and it's been solid so far.

kyrios

Re: Long time linux user, new Solus

Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:04 pm

fuzzyinterval wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:43 pm
Hi all,

As the subject eludes to, I've been a linux user for over 20 years.
My first distro was what is now openSUSE (technically, back then it was a totally different distro, called "S.u.S.E", but you get the idea how long it's been).
I did go through a short Mac phase...but that was primarily because my then-employer was either "legitimate windows install, no VM" or Mac. I went with Mac -- I haven't willingly used or installed windows since 1996).
That same MacBook is running Solus now.

I'm no kernel hacker but rather consider myself a linux power user: while I'm using a DE (budgie), I always have a terminal window open to do "real work".
I've just never had a desire to delve neck deep in to linux (while I can compile applications, and have a 20,000 foot understanding of the kernel, source code, etc. I feel that as a power end-user, I have a BETTER and more useful understanding of Linux, it's pros, cons and foibles and successes.

In my spare time, I'm teaching myself Python (and I've made a few useful apps and web apps), play guitar, and as a recent new home owner, have been tasked with "smart homing" our abode (the house was built in 1956 so there are a handful of unique scenarios to work on to make that happen).

To bounce back to the linux side of my post, I really am enjoying Solus. The primary draw was that it is a rolling release and it's been solid so far.

Welcome to the forums ! :)

Return to “Introduce Yourself”