Jimmy_Kudo

Building Solus

Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:16 pm

Hello all. I wanted to know, where to get full source code of Solus OS to compile it from zero. I want to modify the Solus to learn OS Developing. The way I learn everything is that I download the source code, I modify it as I try to understand how it works. On Github there are many repos, IDK which one to begin with. Please tell me where to get full source code of Solus, and also tell me the requirements to build it.

kyrios

Re: Building Solus

Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:50 pm

Jimmy_Kudo wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:16 pm
Hello all. I wanted to know, where to get full source code of Solus OS to compile it from zero. I want to modify the Solus to learn OS Developing. The way I learn everything is that I download the source code, I modify it as I try to understand how it works. On Github there are many repos, IDK which one to begin with. Please tell me where to get full source code of Solus, and also tell me the requirements to build it.

Is this what you're looking for ? https://dev.getsol.us/source/solus-image-budgie/

Jimmy_Kudo

Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:43 pm

Thank you for a quick reply. If I am not wrong, Budgie is a Desktop environment for Solus. What I need is the source of base Solus OS, like kernal and stuff. I asked this because, if Solus OS is really Open Source, I could get access to its base code as well, isnt?

kyrios

Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:32 pm

Jimmy_Kudo wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:43 pm
Thank you for a quick reply. If I am not wrong, Budgie is a Desktop environment for Solus. What I need is the source of base Solus OS, like kernal and stuff. I asked this because, if Solus OS is really Open Source, I could get access to its base code as well, isnt?
Well this is the base image of the Solus Budgie ISO... just like you have the base image of Solus MATE ISO, or Solus Gnome ISO.
You know a distribution is not a software as such; it is an operation system made from a collection of software that are developed by their respective author(s). All these software are packaged and distributed via our repository. Of course this is an over simplified explanation but it is the basis. Solus home made software each have their own public repository and are packaged and added in the repository just like any other software.

If you are looking for the kernel, it's the linux kernel and it's packaged here or here depending if you want the "current" version or the "long term support" version.

If you are looking from the installer (which is a home-made software), and it's packaged here

etc...

So basically, browse the package repositories for what you're looking for, then look at the source in the package.yml to see from where it comes from and how it is built.

You may also want to have a look at the common helpers that we use to work.

Jimmy_Kudo

Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:42 pm

Thank you I understood completely.

Jimmy_Kudo

Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:56 am

Where can I read the requirements to Build Solus OS?

ALSO, I cloned the repo of Budgie Solus OS. What I received is, install scripts with a few other files. Do I need to run the install script to get the default source? If so, I need Linux right?

kyrios

Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:34 pm

Jimmy_Kudo wrote:

ALSO, I cloned the repo of Budgie Solus OS. What I received is, install scripts with a few other files. Do I need to run the install script to get the default source? If so, I need Linux right?
Solus OS is dead, long live to Solus !

Here are instructions for generating an ISO.

Jimmy_Kudo

Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:49 am

kyrios wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:34 pm
Jimmy_Kudo wrote:

Solus OS is dead, long live to Solus !

Here are instructions for generating an ISO.
Okay. Thank you.

Is Solus Independent distribution open source? Can I get the source code? If yes, where? :)

Sorry for trouble.. :oops:

Return to “Engagement”