northgrove

Duplicate strings/translations due to language + country combos?

Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:31 pm

Hi!

I've been fixing a number of translations to Swedish for Budgie Desktop. Quite a bit of "särskrivningar", a surprisingly common, yet glaring issue with translations made by Swedes (we never write e.g. "cookie cutter", always "cookiecutter")! While doing so, I discovered there were actually two complete sets of strings to translate, both with translation work done to them!

First we have budgie-desktop.pot here: [sv]
https://www.transifex.com/budgie-deskto ... nguage/sv/

Then we have budgie-desktop.pot here: [sv_SE]
https://www.transifex.com/budgie-deskto ... age/sv_SE/

Both are for the same project (budgie-desktop), contain the same strings to translate... and are translated by different translators to different things! :(

I got confused but I think I contributed to the correct one though; "sv_SE". "sv" ("Swedish" language with no "Sweden" country) seemed to be the wrong one and unused? It should perhaps be deleted? A bit funny too that it seemed to sometimes have been more carefully translated, hmm.

PS. There is something similar going on with Finnish (fi) vs Finnish (Finland) (fi_FI) and Norwegian (no) vs Norwegian (Norway) (no_NO). In these cases, fi_FI and no_NO, the languages that logically (?) should have the actually used translations in this case have 0% translated. Here, we instead have the languages with no country specified being the ones translated. Are those also the ones used? A bit confusing... BTW, Norwegian is never just "Norwegian". In Norway you write either Bokmål or Nynorsk, never just "Norwegian". So actually nb_NO and nn_NO should be used here, but nn_NO doesn't even exist, just nn. And I have no idea what "no" is. I assume Bokmål since it's the by far more common one in general throughout Norway. But nb_NO has a different set of contributions to it, like here with Swedish. :( Summarized I wish we only had sv_SE, fi_FI, nb_NO, and nn_NO. No confusion, no risking to translate strings that won't even be used.

kucharczyk

Re: Duplicate strings/translations due to language + country combos?

Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:21 pm

I think this makes sense only for languages with country/regional varieties but most of them have only one. No one answered you but I am still hoping the redundant translations will get removed as not to confuse people and possibly clutter the translation file.

sunnyflunk
Development Team

Re: Duplicate strings/translations due to language + country combos?

Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:16 am

Once we bring in translations in house, we will have much more control over providing saner translations (with help from the community as we don't know the intricacies of each language).

Return to “Engagement”