Justin
Development Team

Re: Beta 1.1!!

Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:59 am

Evertson, thank you for your support, if you wish to make a donation to Evolve OS or any of the upstream projects we use the page is here: https://evolve-os.com/donate

Geert, it isn't just that simple that we use netbootin. dd works just fine on everyone else's PC.

I use, for example:

Code: Select all

sudo dd if=EvolveOS-Beta1.1.iso of=/dev/sdf bs=1M;sync
however your situation may be different, you just need to figure out what the letter assigned to your USB drive is, to find out I usually do:

Code: Select all

lsblk
and look for the one that fits the right size (e.g 4GB or 8GB etc).

Geert

Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:36 am

Justin,
sometimes it works and other times it doesn't work here.
Maybe my usb sticks are corrupt, after each try i have to reformat them.
I installed Beta 1 with a usb made as in your tutorial.
I will buy a new stick and see what will happen.

Justin
Development Team

Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:57 am

Geert wrote:Justin,
sometimes it works and other times it doesn't work here.
Maybe my usb sticks are corrupt, after each try i have to reformat them.
I installed Beta 1 with a usb made as in your tutorial.
I will buy a new stick and see what will happen.
You don't need to format anything as dd will over-write the entire USB stick with a new partition scheme. Next time you try just open gparted first and remove all partitions from the USB stick, then DD it.

But if you've got corrupt USB drives then there's not much to do but replace them.

wongs

Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:22 am

Heads up: I installed Beta 1.1 on USB using Easy2Boot

http://www.easy2boot.com/

This allows me to set up a thumb drive to install tons of isos. All you have to make sure is that the iso files are saved contiguously (one after another with no split sectors, etc).

It works fine with most isos, including the old Beta 1. I only couldn't load up Beta 1 onto my new PC due to the USB3 driver bug in Beta1, but was able to use the Easy2Boot thumb drive to install Beta1 on my laptop which has older hardware without USB3. Now with the USB3 bug sorted in v1.1, the Easy2Boot drive boots up v.1.1 perfectly in the PC.

Unlike unetbootin or multisystem, you get the actual bootup menu for each distro iso loaded.

Once you set up the multiboot thumb drive the first time, it's easy thereafter to load or remove isos from the drive using your standard file manager. NO (edited) terminal dd commands, or opening of unetbootin/multisystem programs which need root.

To maintain contiguousness (??), I keep a record of the iso files I've saved on the drive in chronological order, and I delete them (full delete, not move to Trash) last-in-first-out if I want to remove a few and then add to it.

chdslv

Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:47 pm

After lot of failed attempts, sudo dd if=Evolve-OS-Beta1.1.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=1M;sync finally allowed the usb to boot. Only Firefox doesn't even want to open any other tab, So I can't send this post through Evolve Beat 1.1. I am using AliyaLinux to do so. (http://sourceforge.net/projects/aliyalinux/)

I had earlier Evolve OS alpha installed, but it crashed. I'm trying to get back to Evolve again. In Beta 1.1 live, after trying to launch Firefox and failing, no other app would open. I had to reboot to get any other app to start, and as soon as I started Firefox, Firefox crashed and no other app could be started.

Justin
Development Team

Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:02 pm

Firefox and our X11 don't get along currently. It is a known issue which we're pushing to fix ASAP.

You can always use Chrome in the mean time until the Firefox issue is fixed up. You can install it via Evo Assist in the menu.

Return to “Announcements”