Gregre

[Solved]USB stick with Solus for installation not detected

Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:49 pm

Hello Solus Community,

I am trying to install Solus from a USB stick on a new laptop, but it never seems to boot on the USB drive...

I created the bootable drive using Rufus (dd image) and when I try to boot from this USB using the UEFI menu I have the message :
"Default Boot Device Missing or Boot Failed. Insert Recovery Media and hit any key."
Then I am presented with the BIOS boot menu and whatever I choose I'm booting on Windows 10.

Here is what I already tried to do :
- shifting to legacy mode in the BIOS boot option, instead of UEFI => I can see the Solus boot screen, but very shortly the screen goes blank and nothing happens
- back in UEFI, in the BIOS security option I added a "trusted uefi for executing" and selected the *.efi file on the usb stick (I was only able to do that with the image burnt on the USB as iso, not working as dd image)
- from there I had 2 choices on the UEFI boot menu (windows and the one I configured corresponding to the solus usb with the usb image), before I had only windows.
- I tested the usb stick on an older laptop, it boots without problem (dd-image)

I hope all of this is not too messy and someone can come up with a solution...
Last edited by Gregre on Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gregre

Re: USB stick with Solus for installation not detected

Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:13 pm

Ok guys, after a few more tries, my problem was simply due to the laptop not recognizing the usb stick right away, unplugging / plugging it back did the trick... :oops:

But I'm not done yet...
So now I see the Solus boot screen, I choose to boot on Solus, a few messages appears and disapears very quickly, I see a "solus login" prompt in blue text that dissapears again, leaving me with a blinking cursor and finally a blank screen...

Any ideas on what to try next?

robgriff444

Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:15 pm

Have a look at this post, it may be the same issue:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10682&p=34611&hilit ... set#p34611

Gregre

Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:43 pm

Yes it was, thanks!

Return to “Installation”