librevurto

Re: Help! LibreOffice Math Killed My Desktop?!

Tue May 22, 2018 10:07 pm

Made some progress. I now get a partial desktop when booting. The window manager is working. I can use a browser. I get audio and video. I think everything is working except the taskbar: it is completely empty except for the battery indicator and volume. When I launch a program it doesn't appear on the taskbar.

What did I do to get this back?... not entirely sure but here's the two things I did.

I noticed that when trying "startx" it complained about not having permission to edit "$HOME/.Xauthority", so I chown'd it to me.

I also removed and reinstalled "intel-tbb". I don't even know what that is but it was the only package containing the word "intel" and "Xorg.1.log" said,

Code: Select all

(EE) Failed to load module "intel"
(module does not exist, 0) 
I still get this error, it is the only error in the whole log. Is this the cause of my issues?

sunnyflunk
Development Team

Wed May 23, 2018 12:31 pm

librevurto wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 10:07 pm
Made some progress. I now get a partial desktop when booting. The window manager is working. I can use a browser. I get audio and video. I think everything is working except the taskbar: it is completely empty except for the battery indicator and volume. When I launch a program it doesn't appear on the taskbar.

What did I do to get this back?... not entirely sure but here's the two things I did.

I noticed that when trying "startx" it complained about not having permission to edit "$HOME/.Xauthority", so I chown'd it to me.

I also removed and reinstalled "intel-tbb". I don't even know what that is but it was the only package containing the word "intel" and "Xorg.1.log" said,

(EE) Failed to load module "intel"
(module does not exist, 0) 
I still get this error, it is the only error in the whole log. Is this the cause of my issues?
There is a package called 'xorg-driver-video-intel' which contains the intel xorg driver. Not having it shouldn't prevent xorg from starting (it has an inbuilt modesetting which can work better).

I wouldn't expect good results from startx, it is designed to start from a display manager such as lightdm

librevurto

Wed May 23, 2018 5:26 pm

There is a package called 'xorg-driver-video-intel' which contains the intel xorg driver. Not having it shouldn't prevent xorg from starting (it has an inbuilt modesetting which can work better).
Thanks, that fixed the module error.

Just need to get the "budgie-panel" working properly and I'm back in business.

sunnyflunk
Development Team

Thu May 24, 2018 12:54 am

librevurto wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 5:26 pm
Thanks, that fixed the module error.

Just need to get the "budgie-panel" working properly and I'm back in business.
Resetting the panel configuration is likely the best option, as it may have become corrupted. Without the panel, Alt+F2 may bring a dialog where you could run the following

budgie-panel --reset --replace &
I'm not sure if you can run just

budgie-panel --reset
from the tty to reset the gconf settings.

librevurto

Sun May 27, 2018 3:23 am

I think that's solved it. Thanks. Had some weird black screens at boot but rebooted and everything loaded fine including the panel. :mrgreen:

Return to “Installation”