issh

Error: boot kernel not found

Mon May 28, 2018 7:47 pm

I installed Solus from a disc created on January 1st, 2017. Naturally since it is outdated I did an update immediately after install. After the complete upgrade, I get a boot error message that says this,

Loading Linux 4.8.15 ...
error: file `/boot/kernel-
4.8.15´ not found.
Loading initial ramdisk ...
error: you need to load the kernel first.

My laptop is a Dell Latitude D630 with a 128mb Nvidia gpu, a T7100 processor (I think) and 2gb ram.

I don't have a stable or fast internet connection, usb tethering LTE only. Also, I need to have a paper written by midday tomorrow. Windows is too slow to use, I know that Solus worked. If I can't fix this, I guess I can just reinstall and not update.

Help?

sunnyflunk
Development Team

Re: Error: boot kernel not found

Wed May 30, 2018 2:16 am

issh wrote:
I installed Solus from a disc created on January 1st, 2017. Naturally since it is outdated I did an update immediately after install. After the complete upgrade, I get a boot error message that says this,

Loading Linux 4.8.15 ...
4.8.15´ not found.

My laptop is a Dell Latitude D630 with a 128mb Nvidia gpu, a T7100 processor (I think) and 2gb ram.

I don't have a stable or fast internet connection, usb tethering LTE only. Also, I need to have a paper written by midday tomorrow. Windows is too slow to use, I know that Solus worked. If I can't fix this, I guess I can just reinstall and not update.

Help?
Are you using the Solus bootloader? It seems like you aren't (and that looks to be grub). External bootloaders would have to be updated manually for every kernel update.

I would suggest installing from the latest ISO

issh

Re: Error: boot kernel not found

Wed May 30, 2018 2:22 am

sunnyflunk wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 2:16 am
issh wrote:

Loading Linux 4.8.15 ...
4.8.15´ not found.

Help?
Are you using the Solus bootloader? It seems like you aren't (and that looks to be grub). External bootloaders would have to be updated manually for every kernel update.

I would suggest installing from the latest ISO

Yes, it was the Solus bootloader. The beta version of grub. Unless... Solus no longer uses grub and updating from an older .iso doesn't work.

Doesn't matter now. I installed a different distribution, but thank you.

Return to “Installation”