Eclead

Rufus fails to create bootable USB for GPT

Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:19 pm

Hi,

when i try to create a bootable USB drive with Rufus and Solus 1.1 i get an error that the ISO does not support EFI. When i choose MBR instead of GPT as a partition scheme it does work.

Don't know whether that's a problem with Rufus or the ISO.

ikey
Project Founder

Re: Rufus fails to create bootable USB for GPT

Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:10 pm

Those options are all incorrect and will butcher the USB. You need to use a recent Rufus version, and write it in DD mode, as
ours is an isohybrid ISO

Eclead

Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:24 pm

Thanks. Changing it to dd solved the problem

TNFrank

Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:25 pm

Or just forget Rufus altogether and use dd in the Terminal. Now that I've used dd for a while it's my preferred method of making bootable USB sticks. I use to use UNetbootin but it didn't work well with Arch based Distros but dd will work with every Distro I've used it for. It's very simple. Just cd to where the .iso is at, use the ls command to list out the .iso name and copy it then do a "sudo dd if=".iso name" of=/dev/sdx" where "x" is the drive letter where the usb stick is at(normally sdb in my system) then give it some time for dd to do it's thing and bingo, you've got a bootable usb stick. ;)
"You know what the difference between me and you really is? You look
out there and see a horde of evil, brain eating zombies. I look out there
and see a target rich environment"
-Dillis D. Freeman Jr

Justin
Development Team

Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:27 pm

TNFrank wrote:Or just forget Rufus altogether and use dd in the Terminal. Now that I've used dd for a while it's my preferred method of making bootable USB sticks. I use to use UNetbootin but it didn't work well with Arch based Distros but dd will work with every Distro I've used it for. It's very simple. Just cd to where the .iso is at, use the ls command to list out the .iso name and copy it then do a "sudo dd if=".iso name" of=/dev/sdx" where "x" is the drive letter where the usb stick is at(normally sdb in my system) then give it some time for dd to do it's thing and bingo, you've got a bootable usb stick. ;)
dd doesn't exist in Windows... Rufus works fine, just a matter of following the Installation Guide on the Wiki.

TNFrank

Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:07 am

Justin wrote: dd doesn't exist in Windows... Rufus works fine, just a matter of following the Installation Guide on the Wiki.
I didn't know that since I gave up on Windows after 3 years of struggling with Win98 and picking up an iMac in 2001. My wife and I had a Windows 8 laptop for about a week in 2011 but returned it after it picked up a Trojan Horse virus that borked the system. I got an older laptop, installed Ubuntu 12.04 on it and haven't looked back. I've been all Linux from that point until now. :mrgreen:
"You know what the difference between me and you really is? You look
out there and see a horde of evil, brain eating zombies. I look out there
and see a target rich environment"
-Dillis D. Freeman Jr

Justin
Development Team

Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:04 am

Nice. Yeah I only keep Windows around for my gf's iTunes and my gaming addiction :D

kainatkhan

Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:45 am

Just download RUFUS to create a bootable media. After that you follow the steps provided here https://appuals.com/how-to-create-windo ... ing-rufus/ to solve your problem. Hope it helps you out.

theGNUminati

Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:08 pm

If you prefer a GUI tool for disk imaging, etcher is the way to go IMO.

Return to “Installation”