parker.hugh

Solus installed without a SWAP partition

Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:27 pm

A few months ago I installed Solus version 1.2 on two laptops and I must say that the performance is perfect.

Both laptops have more than one linux distro installed.

It is only in the last few weeks, after looking in '/etc/fstab', that I realised I am not using a swap partition.

At first I didn't know why but then I realised that during the install I must have missed a step to identify the swap partition. So I have a couple of questions....

1. Is it OK to run Solus without swap? BTW Solus is running better than of the other Linux distros I have tried which do have swap partition.

3. If it is recommended that I should have a swap partition, is it OK to just copy and paste the swap details from one of my other distro partitions into '/etc/fstab' e.g.

Code: Select all

# swap was on /dev/sda6 during installation
UUID=e6654f10-5848-49a0-9901-ba3ee5f1af3c none            swap    sw              0       0
EDIT: i decided to do a fresh install version 1.2.0.5 on another PC ASUS Eee Box EB1501P (old BIOS firmware) and this time I made sure to select the swap partition and checked the FORMAT check box as well

Device          Mount point      Format
/dev/sda6       swap             yes
/dev/sda13      /                yes
... but after install, I checked /etc/fstab and there wasn't any swap allocated by the install process.

Just wondered if this has happened to anyone else. Any advice would be appreciated as I am still learning Linux.

jsteen123

Re: Solus installed without a SWAP partition

Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:22 pm

Same issue here.

I did choose existing partitions.
But after install... no swap.

Now I have a machine (other distro) that has a lot of memory, and I don't use swap, so swap is not always necessary.
But if you installed it on a laptop, and there is a lot of "suspend-to-disk" then always use swap.
Why swap disappears after install I don't know, hopefully someone on this forum can give us an answer.

parker.hugh

Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:27 pm

jsteen123 wrote:Same issue here.

I did choose existing partitions.
But after install... no swap.

Now I have a machine (other distro) that has a lot of memory, and I don't use swap, so swap is not always necessary.
But if you installed it on a laptop, and there is a lot of "suspend-to-disk" then always use swap.
Why swap disappears after install I don't know, hopefully someone on this forum can give us an answer.
Thanks for sharing your experience, I also chose existing partitions. I thought maybe I had missed a step. I don't tend to use hibernate but sometimes use suspend, not sure if that is ok to do without a separate swap partition.

BridouZ

Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:57 pm

I think that's a bug from the installer. I installed Solus and wipe out my whole DD and I have a Swap partition.

touchstone

Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:29 am

It's been a year since the last post on this topic. I too selected my swap partition during setup, but don't have it registered in my fstab.

I'll manually put it in now and test.

kyrios

Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:01 am

touchstone wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:29 am
It's been a year since the last post on this topic. I too selected my swap partition during setup, but don't have it registered in my fstab.

I'll manually put it in now and test.
Swap just like /tmp is managed by systemd, so you won't see these entries in /etc/fstab
The following command will return you the swap unit:

systemctl list-unit-files | grep swap
Then check its status with
systemctl status <unit name given by the above command>
You will also see your swap with

lsblk

touchstone

Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:23 am

Yes, I reverted my fstab modification for swap and ran the commands you posted. I do see that swap is enabled on my swap partition. Thanks!

User1

Fri May 04, 2018 8:33 pm

Hi!
I am also using Solus on my Laptop without a swap partition right now and I want to use hibernate but when i select it, it does not really hibernate as the LED is telling me so I guess this is due to the missing swap partition. Is there a tutorial how to fix this afterwards? I know I can resize partitions and add a swap partition but I guess this will be not enough for everything to work, right? Or is it maybe just not working because of Win10 Installation? I remember I read something...

kyrios

Sat May 05, 2018 8:44 pm

User1 wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 8:33 pm
Hi!
I am also using Solus on my Laptop without a swap partition right now and I want to use hibernate but when i select it, it does not really hibernate as the LED is telling me so I guess this is due to the missing swap partition. Is there a tutorial how to fix this afterwards? I know I can resize partitions and add a swap partition but I guess this will be not enough for everything to work, right? Or is it maybe just not working because of Win10 Installation? I remember I read something...

You have to create a swap partition that is large enough and add the corresponding entry in /etc/fstab.
I don't think you have to do anything else.

User1

Thu May 31, 2018 8:57 am

Hm... asking myself where my post went? Nirvana I guess... so, repeat:

@kyrios
I did this but it does not work. I have the suspend option and it does seem to work as my computer seems to enter hibernate mode but when powering up again it just boots like if I powered it off.

Return to “Installation”