moriel5

Installation failing due to installer attempting to unmount partitions during install

Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:17 am

This is really odd to me, since about 10-20 seconds into the installation (this is on USB2.0), the installer attempts to unmount the partitions while writing to them, therefore causing the installer to fail.

This is on my laptop, a Lenovo 300-15ISK, which contains an Intel i5-6200U, and no dedicated GPU, only integrated (although I do not believe that the GPU has anything to do with this issue).

The live image works fine, aside from Settings failing to launching, due to failure in loading shared libraries.

The attempted installation is of Solus 1.2.1.

sunnyflunk
Development Team

Re: Installation failing due to installer attempting to unmount partitions during install

Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:09 am

moriel5 wrote:This is really odd to me, since about 10-20 seconds into the installation (this is on USB2.0), the installer attempts to unmount the partitions while writing to them, therefore causing the installer to fail.

This is on my laptop, a Lenovo 300-15ISK, which contains an Intel i5-6200U, and no dedicated GPU, only integrated (although I do not believe that the GPU has anything to do with this issue).

The live image works fine, aside from Settings failing to launching, due to failure in loading shared libraries.

The attempted installation is of Solus 1.2.1.

To see what is really going on, you would need to run

Code: Select all

sudo os-installer-gtk
from the terminal. This will show all the debug messages and output what is going on at each step.

Given your issue with the settings failing to launch (which can't be repoduced), it is possibly a bad USB write of the iso.

moriel5

Re: Installation failing due to installer attempting to unmount partitions during install

Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:57 am

Thanks, however I had also tried invoking it from the terminal, which did not bring up any information, since os-installer-gtk is not actually behind the installation, but rather is just the front-end (I forget which process actually does the installation), so I was unable to retrieve any logs.

And after trying with multiple different flashdrives (as well as a DVD), with several different distros (Solus, Ubuntu, KaOS), with the same exact results, I have concluded that this has to have something to do with Lenovo's latest BIOS for my laptop, since I had just updated it (the laptop was running Windows 10 before, and off for the most part of over half a year, due to Realtek's awful Wi-Fi drivers for Windows for the RTL8821 (can't connect 99% of the time to hidden wireless networks, regardless of proximity).

Before the BIOS upgrade, distro installations were running smoothly for the most part, and while having a weak connection, I was always able to connect to hidden networks (and still can from the live sessions, except currently Solus, from which I cannot find any networks with it).

sunnyflunk
Development Team

Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:57 pm

moriel5 wrote:Thanks, however I had also tried invoking it from the terminal, which did not bring up any information, since os-installer-gtk is not actually behind the installation, but rather is just the front-end (I forget which process actually does the installation), so I was unable to retrieve any logs.
I tried running the installer (as above) from the terminal and got a lot of output from the terminal. There's not much from the first few pages, but it prints out a lot where it matters

moriel5

Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:58 pm

Thanks again, I'll try getting the logs when I have time, perhaps in a few days, since I won't be at home for long enough until then.

moriel5

Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:19 pm

Alright then, I tried running the installer again, and I have the logs now.
Here they are (on PasteBin, since the uploader isn't letting me upload the log as an attachment): http://pastebin.com/3XtMPRnQ

And it seems that the internal wireless adapter can search for networks, however the reception is extremely weak, weaker than other distros, and even weaker than on Windows.

sunnyflunk
Development Team

Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:26 pm

It does seem like an issue either reading the USB, or writing to the disk but will show it to someone who knows the installer.

sunnyflunk
Development Team

Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:57 pm

If you can it would be great if you could make sure the iso file matches the sha256 checksum from here https://solus-project.com/download/ and also try using an alternative USB drive to eliminate that as the source of the issue.

moriel5

Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:48 am

Sorry for not posting on time, I haven't been online much since my previous post.
In the end, it turned out that the iso was apparently malformed, as seen from the checksum mismatch (I'm guessing that perhaps the torrent did not download correctly), so I redownloaded the file directly from the site via HTTP.
The installation went without a hitch this time.

My only issue currently, is that I have abnormally weak Wi-Fi reception, especially in contrast to Windows (which wasn't that strong to begin with), and also weaker than on other distros.
From my room (the router is in the room directly above mine), on Windows I would have the equivalent of three out of five bars (when it would even connect, as Realtek's driver for Windows has a serious bug which prevents connection to a hidden network, for over a year already, and I had called them three times already (including their central offices in Taiwan), as well as sent them an email (at least they were responsive, even if they did not fix the aforementioned bug)), on KaOS (I am not a KDE user, I just wanted to test it out) I had zero to two bars, and KaOS would fail to connect due to the weak reception (when right next to the router, it connected without any issues), however on Solus, the network wasn't even found (but again, no issues with connection when right next to the router, with 4-5 bars).

Return to “Installation”