SOLUS_INVICTUS

Budgie partial update: Solus Budgie direct installation less recent than Solus Gnome + Budgie post-installation [SOLVED]

Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:37 am

Hello,

Yesterday :
  • ACER 7750 Notebook : I've installed Solus from Budgie Live USB,
  • ACER ES15 Notebook : I've installed first Solus from Gnome Live USB and I've install after manually Budgie Desktop.
After updates via the Software center : The 2 Notebook have not the same version of Budgie Desktop.

The ACER ES15 which had Solus Gnome with Budgie Desktop post-installation has a more recent version of Budgie.
For instance, 'Gnome + Budgie' has the Applets : Budgie Shutdown Timer & Budgie Restart that the other Notebook 'Budgie Only' does not have...

Then I've re-installed desktop.budgie via terminbal on the ACER 7750 which is has only Budgie Desktop by default to obtain the same version of Budgie Desktop on the 2 Notebooks :

Code: Select all

$ sudo eopkg install -c desktop.budgie
The following package(s) are already installed and are not going to be installed again:
budgie-desktop  budgie-desktop-branding
Following packages will be installed:
bamf                   budgie-caffeine-applet             budgie-calendar-applet  budgie-haste-applet
budgie-restart-applet  budgie-screenshot-applet           budgie-shutdown-timer   gnome-app-templates
libmateweather         mate-desktop                       mate-menus              mate-panel         
vala-panel-appmenu     vala-panel-appmenu-budgie-desktop
Total size of package(s): 4.92 MB
There are extra packages due to dependencies. Do you want to continue? (yes/no)
Is there a safe way to be sure to make a full update of Solus ?
( Equivalent to : yum update -y or dnf update && dnf upgrade ... for instance )

Thanks for your help,
Best regards
Last edited by SOLUS_INVICTUS on Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kyrios

Re: Budgie partial update : Solus Budgie direct installation less recent than Solus Gnome + Budgie Desktop post-installa

Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:39 am

So basically you have the same version but you haven't installed some applets

SOLUS_INVICTUS

Re: Budgie partial update : Solus Budgie direct installation less recent than Solus Gnome + Budgie Desktop post-installa

Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:43 pm

Thanks for your reply,
Yes : Same versions
When installing manually Budgie there are extra features which are not installed with Solus Budgie live USB + updates from software center...

To obtain all features, I've tried to update via terminal but :
$ sudo eopkg update
Program terminated.
Unrecognized command: update

Please use 'eopkg help' for general help.

kyrios

Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:47 pm

SOLUS_INVICTUS wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:43 pm
Thanks for your reply,
Yes :
When installing manually Budgie there are extra features which are not installed with Solus Budgie live USB + updates from software center...

To obtain all features, I've tried to update via terminal but :
$ sudo eopkg update
Program terminated.
Unrecognized command: update

Please use 'eopkg help' for general help.
Actually when you do eopkg install -c you install the whole category which is not the same as the default installed applications

SOLUS_INVICTUS

Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:55 pm

Thanks, it is clearer for me ... To obtain full install It is better to reinstall from terminal with -c option.

And is there a way to be sure to obtain a full featured Solus OS with all possibles options via terminal ?

kyrios

Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:53 pm

SOLUS_INVICTUS wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:55 pm
Thanks, it is clearer for me ... To obtain full install It is better to reinstall from terminal with -c option.

And is there a way to be sure to obtain a full featured Solus OS with all possibles options via terminal ?
There is no concept of full install. Solus comes with a selection of pre-installed applications to make it usable out of the box for most common usages then it's up to the user to install additional software depending on the personal tastes and needs.

Installing whole categories is not something I would advice since you'll end up with many software you don't need/will never use or having several applications with a similar purpose (which is quite stupid like having several firewalls, half a dozen of different editors, many backup systems, image/video editors,...). This would waste user experience and consume disk space!

This is more a convenient feature to use on a test machine.

You can check the help (eopkg help) or the man pages (man eopkg) to get the list of available options.

Return to “Development”