brent

(VOLUME) I Came to Praise Solus

Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:43 am

No ideas, just want to thank you for yours.

I reckon between job and pleasure that approximately 35-40% of embedded steaming media content (educational, documentary, movie preview, news, rock and roll music, *-tube) content creators really suck in the volume department. Inadequate.

Yeah, that's a bold 40% but such mediocrity is accepted now. Sad.

I am well versed with your cross-platform competitors----have used them for years.

And I tried 2 "flavours" before Solus.

NOT ONE OS I've used has come up with a genius volume scheme like yours:

Keep an industry-accepted decibel level for 100% volume.

All created media that falls short of these standards can be compensated by Solus by GOING ABOVE 100%!!!!
Nigel Solus Tufnel says it "GOES TO ELEVEN."

I can't tell you how much this idea has helped. It's still a fresh idea and very necessary with the rampant varying audio quality in even "professional" vids.

If it wasn't even Solus' original idea, I still appreciate you incorporated it. It has value.

Thank you, that is all.

kyrios

Re: (VOLUME) I Came to Praise Solus

Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:19 am

brent wrote:

I reckon between job and pleasure that approximately 35-40% of embedded steaming media content (educational, documentary, movie preview, news, rock and roll music, *-tube) content creators really suck in the volume department. Inadequate.

I am well versed with your cross-platform competitors----have used them for years.

All created media that falls short of these standards can be compensated by Solus by GOING ABOVE 100%!!!!

I can't tell you how much this idea has helped. It's still a fresh idea and very necessary with the rampant varying audio quality in even "professional" vids.

If it wasn't even Solus' original idea, I still appreciate you incorporated it. It has value.

Thank you, that is all.

Not sure I understand what you mean but if you want to increase the volume above 100%, this is already possible but not in a convenient way. The volume widget has been updated and this feature will be available in Budgie 10.5 as mentioned on the blog.
Also I have no clue where your figures come from???

brent

Re: (VOLUME) I Came to Praise Solus

Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:41 pm

kyrios wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:19 am
brent wrote:

Thank you, that is all.

Not sure I understand what you mean but if you want to increase the volume above 100%, this is already possible but not in a convenient way. The volume widget has been updated and this feature will be available in Budgie 10.5 as mentioned on the blog.
Also I have no clue where your figures come from???

I re-read that and it made sense---I thought that was not verbose for me.

But I have an even shorter version.

I find other people's videos--quite a lot of them---hard to hear due to low audio quality that CAN NOT be addressed with the 100% level volume of most platforms including Solus.
If the clip cannot be heard well at 100%, the viewing individual is usually out of luck.
I appreciate Solus' volume feature that enables one to go way beyond conventional 100% volume.
It was a great idea. I use this feature a lot. Thank you.

Return to “Ideas”