hitchhiker54

Budgie 11 for FreeBSD?

Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:02 pm

As the title really :) FreeBSD only really has 2 sensible options currently, being XFCE and Lumina. They're both nice enough and don't rely on the depricated hald/dbus software that introduces security issues; the ports of Gnome (3.18), KDE 4 and Mate (1.18.1) do need this deprecated software and are also pretty old now. KDE 5 is on the way but having seen the mockups of Budgie 11, and using Budgie current on Solus 3 on my old chromebook, it would be very cool to have a version that doesn't rely on systemd and other linux specific software.

I'd have a crack at porting myself but I'm not much of a coder and even if the end result worked, it would be the equivalent of an infinite number of monkeys hammering away till they produced emacs :P

kyrios

Re: Budgie 11 for FreeBSD?

Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:10 pm

hitchhiker54 wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:02 pm
As the title really :) FreeBSD only really has 2 sensible options currently, being XFCE and Lumina. They're both nice enough and don't rely on the depricated hald/dbus software that introduces security issues; the ports of Gnome (3.18), KDE 4 and Mate (1.18.1) do need this deprecated software and are also pretty old now. KDE 5 is on the way but having seen the mockups of Budgie 11, and using Budgie current on Solus 3 on my old chromebook, it would be very cool to have a version that doesn't rely on systemd and other linux specific software.

I'd have a crack at porting myself but I'm not much of a coder and even if the end result worked, it would be the equivalent of an infinite number of monkeys hammering away till they produced emacs :P
This is something to ask on the FreeBSD side.
https://www.freebsd.org/ports/x11-wm.html

ikey
Project Founder

Re: Budgie 11 for FreeBSD?

Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:51 am

I would say lets have the FreeBSD guys work with us and make sure we're kept in line!
Us Linux guys have an awful habit of creating POSIX ABI compliant software, only to layer Linuxisms on top of it
like systemd, udev, bash, glibc/gcc, etc.

I'm personally happy to create portable software, so - if its not compiling/functional on BSD give us a kick up the arse
and raise an issue so we sort it out! The one thing I do need at minimum though is Qt 5.9 - I'm willing to budge on other
stuff and make it modular (i.e. ConsoleKit vs login1, etc.)

Return to “Ideas”