Otto_Van_Chotto

Problems installing WiFi drivers.

Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:51 pm

So I finally decided to give Linux a try and installed it on the family PC (Pavilion P7 1235). It is ridiculously smooth compared to Windows 10, but I’ve been having problems getting the internet to work (complete Linux noob).

After installing Solus I noticed I didn’t have internet, I first checked Solus Driver Management for any updates and this was the only available: https://i.imgur.com/jlkabia_d.jpg?maxwi ... ity=medium. Installed it, and then rebooted the PC. Then I tried to connect to the internet and couldn’t and I also realised the option to install the driver was still there as if it didn’t install. Tried to install it again and the same thing happened; I still have the option to “install” the driver.

It didn’t bother me too much since I was going to use a Realtek USB adapter anyways, but the thing is, I can’t seem find drivers for it (Realtek 8812bu).

Thanks in advance, and if everything goes as planned after testing the family PC, I’ll surely install Solus on my main PC.

drk001

Re: Problems installing WiFi drivers.

Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:39 am

Try this. It always works for me.

echo "install wl /sbin/modprobe cfg80211; /sbin/insmod /lib/modules/\$(/bin/uname -r)/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/wl.ko" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/hackboot.conf
echo "wl" | sudo tee /etc/modules-load.d/wl.conf

Otto_Van_Chotto

Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:21 pm

drk001 wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:39 am
Try this. It always works for me.

echo "install wl /sbin/modprobe cfg80211; /sbin/insmod /lib/modules/\$(/bin/uname -r)/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/wl.ko" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/hackboot.conf
echo "wl" | sudo tee /etc/modules-load.d/wl.conf
Thanks I’ll give it a try.

downhill

Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:17 am

Make sure you reboot after performing those two commands.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13324

Return to “Hardware”