Pynos

Solus black screen after "other security" updates :/

Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:10 am

Hello,

I completely corrected my post because I was wrong about the cause of the bug.

I installed Solus 3 on an SSD and then I didn't install anything more.
I just did the updates with the Software Center.

A) I did the updates by selecting only the Required Updates = to reboot ---> no problem.

B) Then, I did the updates by selecting only the "Security Updates" = to reboot ---> no problem.

C) I made the updates by selecting only the "Other Updates" = to reboot ---> black screen at boot with no cursor, just the "Caps Lock" works,"CTRL+ F1/F2" does not work. I can't do anything except a Hard Reboot. :/

I also tried to make ALL updates in one go, it does exactly the same.

I tried the same manipulation with Budgie's ISO or Gnome or Mate, I have the same problem.

What can I do about it?

PS: so I completely edited my initial post because I thought before that it was because I had installed the "Intel micro-code". It was completely untrue, it's something in the "Other Updates" that makes it all crash.
Last edited by Pynos on Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

kyrios

Re: Intel-microcode + budgie= black screen

Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:29 pm

Pynos wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:10 am
Hello,

I thought I had found my ultimate Linux distribution that met my needs. :D
Unfortunately, I had a big problem very (too) quickly.

My little config:
Intel i7 6700K CPU + Intel Integrated GPU + SSD

I did several installations on a SSD to try the desktops:
a) Solus 3 Gnome + updates with latest kernel + intel-microcode only= no worries
b) Solus 3 Mate + updates with latest kernel + intel-microcode only = no worries
final test
c) Solus 3 Budgie + updates with latest kernel + intel-microcode only= black screen :shock: (without cursor, CTRL-F1... F2 do not work, just the caps lock works)

While Budgie is a really pretty and fluid office!!
No luck!!

What can we do about it?
Anybody got a manipulation to unlock?
Do I have to re-install and choose another desktop?

Thank you in advance and have a good day

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator
You can switch back to the previous kernel by bringing up the boot menu, then you can revert the last updates. In the worst case, you'll have to perform a boot rescue.

If you should have problem with the "current" kernel (default), you may still give a try to the "lts" kernel, but since it worked with Gnome & MATE, I don't think this is the problem. I also wonder why you install the microcode; most people don't need it. You only have to install that if your motherboard/laptop manufacturer don't provide bios updates anymore.

Pynos

Re: Solus black screen after "other security" updates :/

Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:33 am

So I would like to point out that this is not a kernel problem. Without "Others Updates" in kernel 4.15 it works well.

The problem comes from something in "Others Updates".

CassBurn

Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:22 pm

This look like a common issue for me with integrated GPU. (maybe the mesa driver ? I don't know, I try to find a solution to run correctly solus without nVidia driver or nomodeset defined.)

I hesitate to do the "Others updates" because it contain nVidia driver (on my side) and I had several issue with my nVidia/laptop to run Solus.

You can define nomodeset with a live usb, but I may recommend to do a image backup of your '/' root file system after important modification / installation.

This following instruction was used on mint, but that should do the trick:
/********** Add nomodeset if doesn't start ********\
sudo mount /dev/sda[NUM_PART] /mnt
sudo mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
sudo mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys
sudo mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc

Also, if you have a separate Ubuntu boot partition (pretty uncommon these days, but it may be the case):

sudo mount /dev/sdaX /mnt/boot
How can you tell if you have a boot partition?

Once you have your Ubuntu partition mounted, open /mnt/etc/fstab. If you see an entry for /boot, note which device it is pointing to (/dev/sda4 maybe?). This is the one you have to mount.

Once these are mounted, do chroot to start using the mounted directory as the root partition:

sudo chroot /mnt

*Go to /boot/grub and look at the files there. There should be a bunch of .mod files and a grub.cfg file. If the directory is empty, don't continue, because it means this is NOT your actual boot directory. Look above to see how to determine if you need to mount an additional boot directory.

Add nomodeset (ONLY FOR GRUB, this doesn't work if you use EFI partition (check after source part)):
1. Edit /etc/default/grub
2. Change
old>GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
new>GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset"

sudo update-grub
exit
\**************************************************/
source: https://askubuntu.com/questions/145241/ ... m-a-livecd

In case of EFI partition, instead of editing the /etc/default/grub, try the following:
$ sudo su
$ mkdir -p /etc/kernel
$ echo "nomodeset" > /etc/kernel/cmdline
$ clr-boot-manager update
$ exit

Then reboot.

The issue with EFI is, I don't know how to remove it after ... :/

I hope this will help you.

Pynos

Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:10 am

Thank you CassBurn: -)

BUT given the psychoriginality of some people here who don't read posts and the time to try to help, I switched to another rolling release distribution which on the same hardware works very well after updates.

Too bad for Solus...

CassBurn

Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:28 am

Pynos wrote:

BUT given the psychoriginality of some people here who don't read posts and the time to try to help, I switched to another rolling release distribution which on the same hardware works very well after updates.

Too bad for Solus...
Don't worry, I know the struggle. I had some several issue despite my perseverance and after one month I have tried again to see what the update offer to me for my problems, and now all work nice.

From my point of view, Solus is young but a really good one. The community just need to grow up.
And the IRC channel can be a really good help.

So I hope to see you soon ;)

kyrios

Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:36 pm

Pynos wrote:

Too bad for Solus...
Well sorry for my psychoriginality (even if I am not sure I understand what it means).
have a good sailing whatever distro you're using !

Return to “Hardware”