cameralibre

Don't understand how to install Brother printer driver (DCP-7065)

Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:52 am

I have not yet been able to install a driver to get my Brother scanner/printer (DCP-7065) to work with Solus. My current awkward workaround is to use an Ubuntu live USB whenever I need to scan or print anything...

I have the download page from Brother, which offers .deb and .rpm, and I've found a discussion in which somebody successfully gets their DCP-7065 working, but I have no idea what they are talking about in the solution they give.

Is there a simpler way to get my printer working?

If not, could somebody please tell me:
  1. Which file(s) to download
  2. where to unpack them ( / seems like an odd choice..?)
  3. what that person's install script does ↑
  4. what I should be using for $installdir and $sources?
I am a low/medium-technical user with very little knowledge of this area, so I need a bit of hand-holding :?

kyrios

Re: Don't understand how to install Brother printer driver (DCP-7065)

Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:49 am

cameralibre wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:52 am
I have not yet been able to install a driver to get my Brother scanner/printer (DCP-7065) to work with Solus. My current awkward workaround is to use an Ubuntu live USB whenever I need to scan or print anything...

I have the download page from Brother, which offers .deb and .rpm, and I've found a discussion in which somebody successfully gets their DCP-7065 working, but I have no idea what they are talking about in the solution they give.

Is there a simpler way to get my printer working?

If not, could somebody please tell me:
  1. Which file(s) to download
  2. where to unpack them ( / seems like an odd choice..?)
  3. what that person's install script does ↑
  4. what I should be using for $installdir and $sources?
I am a low/medium-technical user with very little knowledge of this area, so I need a bit of hand-holding :?
The link you reffer to is for the creation of a Solus package (.eopkg file - which means you should install & configure the solbuild environment), not for one shot installation.

cameralibre

Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:44 am

Hi kyrios, thanks for your reply - so does that mean that I won't be able to use my printer with Solus? or is there anything else that you would recommend me trying?

gimcrack

Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:32 am

cameralibre wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:44 am
Hi kyrios, thanks for your reply - so does that mean that I won't be able to use my printer with Solus? or is there anything else that you would recommend me trying?
http://support.brother.com/g/s/id/linux ... edirect=on

cameralibre

Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:23 pm

Hi gimcrack, thanks for the link, but I really don't know what to do with it - the only instructions there are for:

- openSUSE
- Debian/Ubuntu 64 bit
- Ubuntu8.04 or greater
- Fedora10, 11, 12 64 bit

This is the same problem that I had initially. I don't know how to get my printer to work with Solus.

Please bear in mind that I am not experienced with printer drivers and am not a particularly technically-minded user, so what may be obvious to you is not obvious to me...

geoffrey.A

Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:42 am

Have you tried to install the printer using the CUPS Print Service? Take a quick look at adding the printer via the CUPS interface by adding this to your URL field in a browser (Firefox or Chromium/Chrome)

"localhost:631"

If the printer can be connected first (via usb), that would improve likelihood of CUPS finding a base print driver.

Another option is just to use a distro like Ubuntu-Budgie, and then use the deb packages from Brother to do the install (that's the option I would choose - - practicality comes first).

cameralibre

Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:42 pm

geoffrey.A wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:42 am
Have you tried to install the printer using the CUPS Print Service?
I hadn't - thank you for the suggestion, it was really helpful. When I went down that path, I eventually ended up on my printer's page on openprinting.org - a resource that I wish I had known about before buying this printer :roll:

It appears that only the brlaser driver works with this printer.
brlaser isn't in the solus package list, so I tried cloning the repo, but I never really know what I'm doing when it comes to building from source. I've been through a few rounds of missing packages, and installing the required libraries, but now I'm stuck.
When running cmake, I get the following error:

Code: Select all

CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:94 (message):
  <cups/raster.h> header not found.  Are the CUPS development packages installed?
searching for the file raster.h gets me:

Package cups-filters-devel has file /usr/include/cupsfilters/raster.h
Package cups has file /usr/share/doc/cups/help/api-raster.html
Package cups has file /usr/share/doc/cups/help/spec-raster.html
Package cups-devel has file /usr/include/cups/raster.h
All of those packages are installed, so I don't really know what else I can do.

-----------
Another option is just to use a distro like Ubuntu-Budgie, and then use the deb packages from Brother to do the install (that's the option I would choose - - practicality comes first).
Yep, I agree... but I really don't want to give up on Solus - after 5 years of distro-hopping around the Debian universe, not quite finding anything quite right, I finally have a distro that really works for me, and does everything I want it to... except print. It has been such a pleasant change to have so few problems on Solus and to have finally found a sweet spot between "just do the work and get out of my way" and "teach me about my computer". It's not just the Budgie desktop, it's the whole thing.

So for now I will keep using a USB version of another distro and just fire it up when I need to print, or run a workshop. (I'm doing workshops introducing non-coders to open source using an analog version control system, and a multi-function printer is a key part of it!)

geoffrey.A

Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:36 am

Re building the driver . . . did you install the development tools package prior to running make?

sudo eopkg it -c system.devel

Re the choice of Brother . . . in the "Linux World" , it's HP first, Epson second. HP especially offers a level of utility the others don't (in Linux) via HP Toolbox/HPLip.

Good luck!

cameralibre

Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:44 am

geoffrey.A wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:36 am
did you install the development tools package prior to running make?
no, I didn't know about that! thanks, installed now.

running cmake...

CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:94 (message):
  <cups/raster.h> header not found.  Are the CUPS development packages installed?
dammit.

Maybe my best course of action is just to sell the Brother and buy an HP...

geoffrey.A

Re: Don't understand how to install Brother print driver (DCP-7065)

Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:46 am

Personally, that's exactly what I would do unless you really want to get into compiling. LOTS of reading and learning IT level skills (de-bugging yada yada). And then the finished driver may not give optimal performance. If you were to change kernels from LTS to Current (depending on the source code), a new build may be required.

Just not worth it to me (that's why I suggested Ubuntu Budgie) . . . OR . . . doing one's due diligence up front and only buying well supported hardware (e.g., All Intel machines (cpu, gpu, wireless). nVidia support is still better than AMD although that's not as true as two-three years ago.

If getting an HP - - the HP "OfficeJet 8700 Pro" series is a winner. Also, IF doing a fair volume (+250 pgs monthly) of printing, HP has the Instant Ink replacement program. Well worth it in my view.

Return to “Hardware”