sunnyflunk
Development Team

Re: How Do I Compile Stuff On Solus

Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:22 am

NZnewbie wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:43 pm
So IU install android studio- rebooted and tried to build again it built to 5% and failed.

Cant see the forest for the trees!!. Seems diff errors each attempt.

This is the one that im stuck on and never happened on the other os i was using. Cflags??.

Complete Terminal output:

https://hastebin.com/hapuxajecu.cs

Thanks again for your guidance :)
I would run this in the terminal prior to starting compilation:

Code: Select all

unset CFLAGS CXXFLAGS LDFLAGS

NZnewbie

Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:01 pm

sunnyflunk wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:22 am
NZnewbie wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:43 pm
So IU install android studio- rebooted and tried to build again it built to 5% and failed.

Cant see the forest for the trees!!. Seems diff errors each attempt.

This is the one that im stuck on and never happened on the other os i was using. Cflags??.

Complete Terminal output:

https://hastebin.com/hapuxajecu.cs

Thanks again for your guidance :)
I would run this in the terminal prior to starting compilation:

Code: Select all

unset CFLAGS CXXFLAGS LDFLAGS
Awesome. Thank you. Compiling now. I did see that command earlier but didnt use it in terminal before starting compiling!!. DUH. :D :D .

Thanks again!

NZnewbie

Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:16 pm

Also need to install Rsync for a complete compile- well I had too.

Elias Löwe

Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:44 pm

I need to build for aarch64. Used to clang compiler and tools.
Unfortunately list of supported targets is too short...
$ llc --version
LLVM (http://llvm.org/):
LLVM version 5.0.0
Optimized build.
Default target: x86_64-solus-linux
Host CPU: haswell

Registered Targets:
amdgcn - AMD GCN GPUs
bpf - BPF (host endian)
bpfeb - BPF (big endian)
bpfel - BPF (little endian)
r600 - AMD GPUs HD2XXX-HD6XXX
x86 - 32-bit X86: Pentium-Pro and above
x86-64 - 64-bit X86: EM64T and AMD64
What is the right way to add more targets on Solus?

I also tried to find some cross-toolchain but without success...
Many thanks in advance!
Performance does matter

bbqD

Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:50 am

Setting Up a 'Packager File' to build a package with Solbuild - file type?

It looks like I need to build a gscan2pdf package from source code in order to connect my scanner. The eopkg & solbuild guides say that I first have to create a 'packager' file in home/.solus and the format is

[Packager]
Name=Your Name Here
Email=your.email@address

https://solus-project.com/articles/pack ... ackage/en/

What is the file type / extension for this file? It doesn't look like yaml, there's no xml header, no colons for json? .txt?

kyrios

Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:00 am

bbqD wrote:

It looks like I need to build a gscan2pdf package from source code in order to connect my scanner. The eopkg & solbuild guides say that I first have to create a 'packager' file in home/.solus and the format is

[Packager]
Name=Your Name Here
Email=your.email@address

What is the file type / extension for this file? It doesn't look like yaml, there's no xml header, no colons for json? .txt?
gscan2pdf is just a GUI to produce PDFs or DjVus from scanned documents. It's not a driver or so that will make your scanner working.

The procedure you're reffering to is to build solus packages (.eopkg files). You can use it but it's not mandatory. You can alos build the application from source the "normal way" as long as you have the required dependencies installed.

You have to create a .solus folder in your home directory (files & folders starting with a dot are "hidden") and inside that folder you have to create a packager file without extension. It's a plain text file.

bbqD

Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:12 pm

kyrios wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:00 am
bbqD wrote:

[Packager]
Name=Your Name Here
Email=your.email@address

gscan2pdf is just a GUI to produce PDFs or DjVus from scanned documents. It's not a driver or so that will make your scanner working.

The procedure you're reffering to is to build solus packages (.eopkg files). You can use it but it's not mandatory. You can alos build the application from source the "normal way" as long as you have the required dependencies installed.

You have to create a .solus folder in your home directory (files & folders starting with a dot are "hidden") and inside that folder you have to create a packager file without extension. It's a plain text file.
Thanks Kyrios - much appreciated.
Looking at Solus documentation, I thought building the application using solbuild & eopkg commands was the 'normal way' for Solus. What normal way are you referring to?

sborer

Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:31 pm

bbqD wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:12 pm
Looking at Solus documentation, I thought building the application using solbuild & eopkg commands was the 'normal way' for Solus. What normal way are you referring to?
The "normal" way or the Linux way is to just compiling it without creating a distribution specific package and installing it.
Let's say you want to compile a custom version of Thunderbird (pick any program really).
You have the options:
1. compile it from source as it's stated on their page, something along the lines of `make` and `make install`. You receive a `thunderbird` binary which you can run like this: `./thunderbird`.
2. provide the Solus specific configuration (the packager file, package.yml, etc. ) and use the solbuild tools to build a `thunderbird.eopkg` package (which contains the binary program but is not runnable per se), install this package using `eopkg it thunderbird.eopkg`.
This does a lot of other stuff for you, so you can make explicit dependencies which are guaranteed etc...

Actually I have yet do to this on Solus, but that's more or less the gist of it for every/most distribution.

User1

Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:24 am

Hey guys!
I managed to compile and install some program but how to keep these manually configured programs up to date? Just compile them again and replace everything? :?:

kyrios

Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:54 pm

User1 wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:24 am
Hey guys!
I managed to compile and install some program but how to keep these manually configured programs up to date? Just compile them again and replace everything? :?:
Yes.
But if you have programs that might be useful to other people, you may consider doing a package request.

Return to “Tutorials”