Akelun

Re: Need help for a particular installation in Dual Boot

Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:35 pm

Well... No, I did not... ^^'

However... I just tried and I got another problem.

I tryed to make the USB live again, from the .iso of Solus 3 mate and while thinking about switching to "DD image" as you suggested.
  • - With the 1st USB key (of 64 Go, in 3.0), when I enter in the "boot menu", it is finally suggested to launch Solus 3 Mate. So I choose that, then, a black screen appears, text is scrolling. Everything seems to go fine, and then, I find 2 Solus desktop, side by side, cloned, with no mouse cursor. Worried about it, I have to admit, I didn't try to install Solus. Plus, I remembered I made the USB live with Rufus on a computer with 2 screens, so, I thought that it could be the origin of the problem. So...
  • - ... I took another USB key (of 8 Go, in 2.0), copy-pasted the iso of Solus and Rufus in it, and then, made again everything directly on my new laptop with a single screen, on windows 10. Then I restarted the computer, enter the boot menu, launch Solus 3 and... it only got worse. I still got the double screen, I think from the format I got of my screen, but it was all... confused. I couldn't understand anything which was happening on the screen. It was all scrambled. So, I had to shut down my computer.
In a word, I went further with this "DD image" option, but I'm still unable to install Solus on my laptop because of the problem I just explained.

Can someone help me again, please?
And at worst, is my problem the kind of issue I can fix by buying a DVD reader which can be plugged in USB port and by making a classic and good DVD iso? Making a USB live is really a pain it seems! ><

PS: Plus, I noticed that, by using this "DD image" option, all my USB keys got a decrease of capacity and I was unable to format them on my Windows 10. I hope that I'll find a way to get my keys back once I managed to install Solus, because a USB key of 64 Go is not very cheap... =/

geoffrey.A

Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:12 am

If you still have or can get a clean USB Flash-Stick of either 4 or 8 Gigs, then you should start fresh.

Just place the downloaded iso into an empty folder in your /home or Windows download folder.

Then download the "Etcher" program and install it. Etcher is the easiest to use program for creating bootable usb flash-sticks.

https://etcher.io/

Etcher will guide you through the usb creation steps.

Do not change from UEFI mode to Legacy if you plan to run Windows and Linux in a dual-boot scenario.

Akelun

Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:05 am

I tryed with this programm. Same result, unfortunately. =/

Though, I know now that the problem is not from my USB key, but from my laptop. Because I tryed to launch the key on my desktop computer, and the iso was launched perfectly. So... I don't know, maybe there is another problem in my boot menu options?

I can post here a video showing the problem I meet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Plb3DQqtBTw&app=desktop

And there, I take a photo of the options I have on my boot menu: https://sta.sh/22a46pje561q?edit=1

If you understand and can tell me what is wrong and what I should change, that'll be really super. Because I really feel like I'm stuck there. =/

Thank's in advance for any help.

Akelun

Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:38 pm

Still nobody knows how I can solve my problem? I'm really stuck at this point. =/
I never met a problem like this with a OS installation before.

geoffrey.A

Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:07 am

Well, I read your PC is UEFI & GPT with Windows 10 (which makes sense as Win 10 with GPT requires UEFI) and NOT BIOS/MBR.

So, when you posted your firmware screens, I noticed that in the window showing when you have "Advanced Tab" selected, you have "USB BIOS Legacy Support" . . . . Enabled. That doesn't sound right. I think you should switch it to Disabled so it will match the setting you have on the Boot Tab screen "Legacy Mode" . . . Disabled.

I also think you should try the smaller USB bootable flash-stick you created with Etcher on another PC to see if that will allow for booting from that usb stick.

Akelun

Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:38 am

geoffrey.A wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:07 am
Well, I read your PC is UEFI & GPT with Windows 10 (which makes sense as Win 10 with GPT requires UEFI) and NOT BIOS/MBR.

So, when you posted your firmware screens, I noticed that in the window showing when you have "Advanced Tab" selected, you have "USB BIOS Legacy Support" . . . . Enabled. That doesn't sound right. I think you should switch it to Disabled so it will match the setting you have on the Boot Tab screen "Legacy Mode" . . . Disabled.

I also think you should try the smaller USB bootable flash-stick you created with Etcher on another PC to see if that will allow for booting from that usb stick.
Thank's for your help, geoffrey. ^^
I'm not with my laptop right now, so I can't test. I'll try tonight, but I think I already tryed to disable the legacy mode and that it ended refusing to launch anything (Windows 10 or USB). It was just running the motherboard screen (happily, I was still able to enter the bios menu / setup).
I'll try again and confirm you this information though.

Also, I already tryed my 2 USB on another PC (my desktop computer) and it works perfectly. I probably could install Solus and at least, I could TRY the live session. So the 2 USB keys seem correct.

I'll keep you informed if I managed to disable the legacy mode AND to launch the USB with it correctly.

Suren

Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:25 pm

The week I can not install the Solus.
Tried all methods of installation, it does not work. I decided to ask you for help.
Downloaded Solus-3-Budgie.iso, recorded in Rufus, tried and how iso and dd write down, аt the end, a screen appears Start Solus, click on enter, then an endlessly flashing dark screen appears. Say what's wrong? Tell me what to do?

kyrios

Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:40 pm

Suren wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:25 pm
The week I can not install the Solus.
Tried all methods of installation, it does not work. I decided to ask you for help.
Downloaded Solus-3-Budgie.iso, recorded in Rufus, tried and how iso and dd write down, аt the end, a screen appears Start Solus, click on enter, then an endlessly flashing dark screen appears. Say what's wrong? Tell me what to do?
This is most likely because of your GPU. Try with nomodeset ask kernel parameter.

PS: next time make a different topic because mixing several problems together will most likely cause more confusion.

Suren

Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:38 pm

Thank you very much, I was able to install the system, but every time I have to write "nomodeset" at boot time Grub, I followed this instruction, but at download changes do not work. I also want to say that I do not have a video card, Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E-5300 2.60GHz, drivers for this processor could not find, without the drivers the screen looks creepy, on the windows 10 no such problems.

kyrios

Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:29 pm

Suren wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:38 pm
Thank you very much, I was able to install the system, but every time I have to write "nomodeset" at boot time Grub, I followed this instruction, but at download changes do not work. I also want to say that I do not have a video card, Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E-5300 2.60GHz, drivers for this processor could not find, without the drivers the screen looks creepy, on the windows 10 no such problems.

You can try to install the xorg-driver-video-intel and see if it is better.
If it doesn't help, here are the instructions for making the kernel parameter permanent.
Just check which of the driver or nomodeset parameters works better for you.

Return to “Installation”