Micutio
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:46 am

Re: Optimus Support Is Now Here

Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:05 am

I tried installing the nVidia driver via doFlicky on a fresh Solus install today, but was still greeted with a black screen after reboot. I performed all system updates the Software Center recommended.

inxi -G gives the following output:

Code: Select all

Card-1: Intel Haswell Integrated Graphics Controller

Card-2: NVIDIA Device 1392

Display Server: X.org 1.18.4 drivers: modesetting, nvidia tty size: 240x67 Advanced Data: N/A out of X

Any pointers how I can diagnose what's wrong?

sunnyflunk
Development Team
Posts: 2974
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:35 pm

Re: Optimus Support Is Now Here

Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:13 am

Micutio wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:05 am
I tried installing the nVidia driver via doFlicky on a fresh Solus install today, but was still greeted with a black screen after reboot. I performed all system updates the Software Center recommended.

inxi -G gives the following output:

Code: Select all

Card-1: Intel Haswell Integrated Graphics Controller

Card-2: NVIDIA Device 1392

Display Server: X.org 1.18.4 drivers: modesetting, nvidia tty size: 240x67 Advanced Data: N/A out of X

Any pointers how I can diagnose what's wrong?
All recommended? Need to do a full system update for the proper optimus support
sudo eopkg up

Micutio
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:46 am

Re: Optimus Support Is Now Here

Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:22 am

All recommended? Need to do a full system update for the proper optimus support
sudo eopkg up

That's what I did, but there are no further packages to upgrade.

sunnyflunk
Development Team
Posts: 2974
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:35 pm

Re: Optimus Support Is Now Here

Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:17 am

Micutio wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:22 am
All recommended? Need to do a full system update for the proper optimus support
sudo eopkg up

That's what I did, but there are no further packages to upgrade.
A few things to look at then.

Check what drivers are best for your card (sometimes doflicky gets it wrong!). I would usually go for the highest version that your card supports.

What's the output of

Code: Select all

linux-driver-management status

Micutio
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:46 am

Re: Optimus Support Is Now Here

Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:54 am

I reinstalled Solus again. It seems to work now.

Code: Select all

linux-driver-management status
shows

NVIDIA Optimus
├ PCI:00:02.0 : Haswell Integrated Graphics Controller (Primary)
├ Vendor ID : Intel
├ Kernel driver : i915
├ VGA Boot : yes
└ X.Org PCI ID : PCI:0:2:0
┟ Secondary GPU
├ PCI:01:00.0 : Device 1392 (Secondary)
├ Vendor ID : NVIDIA
├ Kernel driver : nvidia
├ VGA Boot : no
└ X.Org PCI ID : PCI:1:0:0

I don't know what helped the issue, but I can tell you what I changed this time:

- cleared out the boot partition (removed old ubuntu and solus remnants, left windows intact)
- omitted "/home" mounting point (used only "/" and "swap")
- updated via terminal instead of software center

This time doFlicky also displayed a different nvidia driver version, a newer one. After the reboot Solus started normal to Budgie.

My best guess is, the old Solus boot partition may have had something to do with it, but you know a lot more about that than I do.

sunnyflunk
Development Team
Posts: 2974
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:35 pm

Re: Optimus Support Is Now Here

Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:13 am

Micutio wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:54 am
I reinstalled Solus again. It seems to work now.

Code: Select all

linux-driver-management status
shows

NVIDIA Optimus
├ PCI:00:02.0 : Haswell Integrated Graphics Controller (Primary)
├ Vendor ID : Intel
├ Kernel driver : i915
├ VGA Boot : yes
└ X.Org PCI ID : PCI:0:2:0
┟ Secondary GPU
├ PCI:01:00.0 : Device 1392 (Secondary)
├ Vendor ID : NVIDIA
├ Kernel driver : nvidia
├ VGA Boot : no
└ X.Org PCI ID : PCI:1:0:0

I don't know what helped the issue, but I can tell you what I changed this time:

- cleared out the boot partition (removed old ubuntu and solus remnants, left windows intact)
- omitted "/home" mounting point (used only "/" and "swap")
- updated via terminal instead of software center

This time doFlicky also displayed a different nvidia driver version, a newer one. After the reboot Solus started normal to Budgie.

My best guess is, the old Solus boot partition may have had something to do with it, but you know a lot more about that than I do.
Doflicky uses contents (modaliases) from the nvidia binary drivers. It's likely that updating the system first would lead to doflicky choosing a different card as the newer version will have more cards (and versions of the cards) in the database. The different nvidia driver version was likely the difference as the others shouldn't have had any impact. Glad it worked out this time :)

shishai
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 2:04 am

Re: Optimus Support Is Now Here

Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:56 pm

hi guys any idea how to resolve this error? I also encounter the black screen issue after rebooting. :(
The Xorg logs point to a problem with a module named glamorgl.

* My machine is up-to-date
* Removing the nvidia driver package restores the normal boot
* DoFlicky detected the nvidia-340-glx-driver, which is correct based on http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_32667.html

Commands below were ran after the broken boot.

inxi -G:
Graphics: Card-1: Intel Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
Card-2: NVIDIA GT218M [GeForce 310M]
Display Server: X.org 1.18.4 drivers: modesetting,nvidia tty size: 170x48 Advanced Data: N/A out of X
linux-driver-management status:
NVIDIA Optimus
├ PCI:00:02.0 : Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (Primary)
├ Vendor ID : Intel
├ Kernel driver : i915
├ VGA Boot : yes
└ X.Org PCI ID : PCI:0:2:0
┟ Secondary GPU
├ PCI:01:00.0 : GT218M [GeForce 310M] (Secondary)
├ Vendor ID : NVIDIA
├ Kernel driver : nvidia
├ VGA Boot : no
└ X.Org PCI ID : PCI:1:0:0

/var/log/Xorg.0.log:
[ 32.782] (II) Loading sub module "glamoregl"
[ 32.782] (II) LoadModule: "glamoregl"
[ 32.783] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libglamoregl.so
[ 32.794] (II) Module glamoregl: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[ 32.794] compiled for 1.18.4, module version = 1.0.0
[ 32.794] ABI class: X.Org ANSI C Emulation, version 0.4
[ 32.794] (II) glamor: OpenGL accelerated X.org driver based.
[ 32.816] (EE)
[ 32.816] (EE) Backtrace:
[ 32.817] (EE) 0: /usr/libexec/Xorg (OsReleaseSIGIO+0x1a8) [0x565a08]
[ 32.817] (EE) 1: /usr/lib/libc.so.6 (killpg+0x40) [0x7f02287d31bf]
[ 32.817] (EE) 2: ? (?+0x40) [0x7000003e]
[ 32.818] (EE) 3: /usr/lib/libX11.so.6 (XInitExtension+0x28) [0x7f021f7ae128]
[ 32.818] (EE) 4: /usr/lib/libXext.so.6 (XextAddDisplay+0x52) [0x7f021f57ad92]
[ 32.818] (EE) 5: /usr/lib/libnvidia-glsi.so.340.102 (_nv002glsi+0x5c817) [0x7f021f99eb47]
[ 32.818] (EE) 6: /usr/lib/libnvidia-glsi.so.340.102 (_nv049glsi+0x4c) [0x7f021f8e43ec]
[ 32.818] (EE) unw_get_proc_name failed: no unwind info found [-10]
[ 32.818] (EE) 7: /usr/lib/libEGL.so.1 (?+0x4c) [0x7f021fb8cf7c]
[ 32.818] (EE) 8: /usr/lib/libEGL.so.1 (NvEglRegClientApi+0x4f84) [0x7f021fb9a274]
[ 32.818] (EE) 9: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libglamoregl.so (glamor_egl_init+0xdd) [0x7f02217335bd]
[ 32.819] (EE) 10: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/modesetting_drv.so (_init+0x18e4) [0x7f02289729a4]
[ 32.819] (EE) 11: /usr/libexec/Xorg (InitOutput+0x17b2) [0x5e1ab2]
[ 32.819] (EE) 12: /usr/libexec/Xorg (miCopyPlane+0x265f) [0x428edf]
[ 32.819] (EE) 13: /usr/lib/libc.so.6 (__libc_start_main+0xf1) [0x7f02287bd671]
[ 32.819] (EE) 14: /usr/libexec/Xorg (_start+0x2a) [0x4282ba]
[ 32.820] (EE) 15: ? (?+0x2a) [0x2a]
[ 32.820] (EE)
[ 32.820] (EE) Segmentation fault at address 0x6ffffffe
[ 32.820] (EE)
Fatal server error:
[ 32.820] (EE) Caught signal 11 (Segmentation fault). Server aborting
[ 32.820] (EE)
[ 32.820] (EE)
Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
at http://wiki.x.org
for help.
[ 32.820] (EE) Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for additional information.
[ 32.820] (EE)
[ 32.840] (EE) Server terminated with error (1). Closing log file.

sunnyflunk
Development Team
Posts: 2974
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:35 pm

Re: Optimus Support Is Now Here

Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:52 am

shishai wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:56 pm
hi guys any idea how to resolve this error? I also encounter the black screen issue after rebooting. :(
The Xorg logs point to a problem with a module named glamorgl.

* My machine is up-to-date
* Removing the nvidia driver package restores the normal boot
* DoFlicky detected the nvidia-340-glx-driver, which is correct based on http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_32667.html

Commands below were ran after the broken boot.

inxi -G:
Graphics: Card-1: Intel Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
Card-2: NVIDIA GT218M [GeForce 310M]
Display Server: X.org 1.18.4 drivers: modesetting,nvidia tty size: 170x48 Advanced Data: N/A out of X
linux-driver-management status:
NVIDIA Optimus
├ PCI:00:02.0 : Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (Primary)
├ Vendor ID : Intel
├ Kernel driver : i915
├ VGA Boot : yes
└ X.Org PCI ID : PCI:0:2:0
┟ Secondary GPU
├ PCI:01:00.0 : GT218M [GeForce 310M] (Secondary)
├ Vendor ID : NVIDIA
├ Kernel driver : nvidia
├ VGA Boot : no
└ X.Org PCI ID : PCI:1:0:0

/var/log/Xorg.0.log:
[ 32.782] (II) Loading sub module "glamoregl"
[ 32.782] (II) LoadModule: "glamoregl"
[ 32.783] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libglamoregl.so
[ 32.794] (II) Module glamoregl: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[ 32.794] compiled for 1.18.4, module version = 1.0.0
[ 32.794] ABI class: X.Org ANSI C Emulation, version 0.4
[ 32.794] (II) glamor: OpenGL accelerated X.org driver based.
[ 32.816] (EE)
[ 32.816] (EE) Backtrace:
[ 32.817] (EE) 0: /usr/libexec/Xorg (OsReleaseSIGIO+0x1a8) [0x565a08]
[ 32.817] (EE) 1: /usr/lib/libc.so.6 (killpg+0x40) [0x7f02287d31bf]
[ 32.817] (EE) 2: ? (?+0x40) [0x7000003e]
[ 32.818] (EE) 3: /usr/lib/libX11.so.6 (XInitExtension+0x28) [0x7f021f7ae128]
[ 32.818] (EE) 4: /usr/lib/libXext.so.6 (XextAddDisplay+0x52) [0x7f021f57ad92]
[ 32.818] (EE) 5: /usr/lib/libnvidia-glsi.so.340.102 (_nv002glsi+0x5c817) [0x7f021f99eb47]
[ 32.818] (EE) 6: /usr/lib/libnvidia-glsi.so.340.102 (_nv049glsi+0x4c) [0x7f021f8e43ec]
[ 32.818] (EE) unw_get_proc_name failed: no unwind info found [-10]
[ 32.818] (EE) 7: /usr/lib/libEGL.so.1 (?+0x4c) [0x7f021fb8cf7c]
[ 32.818] (EE) 8: /usr/lib/libEGL.so.1 (NvEglRegClientApi+0x4f84) [0x7f021fb9a274]
[ 32.818] (EE) 9: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libglamoregl.so (glamor_egl_init+0xdd) [0x7f02217335bd]
[ 32.819] (EE) 10: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/modesetting_drv.so (_init+0x18e4) [0x7f02289729a4]
[ 32.819] (EE) 11: /usr/libexec/Xorg (InitOutput+0x17b2) [0x5e1ab2]
[ 32.819] (EE) 12: /usr/libexec/Xorg (miCopyPlane+0x265f) [0x428edf]
[ 32.819] (EE) 13: /usr/lib/libc.so.6 (__libc_start_main+0xf1) [0x7f02287bd671]
[ 32.819] (EE) 14: /usr/libexec/Xorg (_start+0x2a) [0x4282ba]
[ 32.820] (EE) 15: ? (?+0x2a) [0x2a]
[ 32.820] (EE)
[ 32.820] (EE) Segmentation fault at address 0x6ffffffe
[ 32.820] (EE)
Fatal server error:
[ 32.820] (EE) Caught signal 11 (Segmentation fault). Server aborting
[ 32.820] (EE)
[ 32.820] (EE)
Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
at http://wiki.x.org
for help.
[ 32.820] (EE) Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for additional information.
[ 32.820] (EE)
[ 32.840] (EE) Server terminated with error (1). Closing log file.
This would be better as a bug report via https://dev.solus-project.com/ as it will get a lot more eyes looking at it. Given the age of the intel cpu graphics, it may work better with the intel xorg drivers. Installing the nvidia drivers currently defaults to using the modesetting driver

shishai
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 2:04 am

Re: Optimus Support Is Now Here

Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:54 pm

sunnyflunk wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:52 am
shishai wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:56 pm
hi guys any idea how to resolve this error? I also encounter the black screen issue after rebooting. :(
The Xorg logs point to a problem with a module named glamorgl.

* My machine is up-to-date
* Removing the nvidia driver package restores the normal boot
* DoFlicky detected the nvidia-340-glx-driver, which is correct based on http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_32667.html

Commands below were ran after the broken boot.

inxi -G:
Graphics: Card-1: Intel Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
Card-2: NVIDIA GT218M [GeForce 310M]
Display Server: X.org 1.18.4 drivers: modesetting,nvidia tty size: 170x48 Advanced Data: N/A out of X
linux-driver-management status:
NVIDIA Optimus
├ PCI:00:02.0 : Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (Primary)
├ Vendor ID : Intel
├ Kernel driver : i915
├ VGA Boot : yes
└ X.Org PCI ID : PCI:0:2:0
┟ Secondary GPU
├ PCI:01:00.0 : GT218M [GeForce 310M] (Secondary)
├ Vendor ID : NVIDIA
├ Kernel driver : nvidia
├ VGA Boot : no
└ X.Org PCI ID : PCI:1:0:0

/var/log/Xorg.0.log:
[ 32.782] (II) Loading sub module "glamoregl"
[ 32.782] (II) LoadModule: "glamoregl"
[ 32.783] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libglamoregl.so
[ 32.794] (II) Module glamoregl: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[ 32.794] compiled for 1.18.4, module version = 1.0.0
[ 32.794] ABI class: X.Org ANSI C Emulation, version 0.4
[ 32.794] (II) glamor: OpenGL accelerated X.org driver based.
[ 32.816] (EE)
[ 32.816] (EE) Backtrace:
[ 32.817] (EE) 0: /usr/libexec/Xorg (OsReleaseSIGIO+0x1a8) [0x565a08]
[ 32.817] (EE) 1: /usr/lib/libc.so.6 (killpg+0x40) [0x7f02287d31bf]
[ 32.817] (EE) 2: ? (?+0x40) [0x7000003e]
[ 32.818] (EE) 3: /usr/lib/libX11.so.6 (XInitExtension+0x28) [0x7f021f7ae128]
[ 32.818] (EE) 4: /usr/lib/libXext.so.6 (XextAddDisplay+0x52) [0x7f021f57ad92]
[ 32.818] (EE) 5: /usr/lib/libnvidia-glsi.so.340.102 (_nv002glsi+0x5c817) [0x7f021f99eb47]
[ 32.818] (EE) 6: /usr/lib/libnvidia-glsi.so.340.102 (_nv049glsi+0x4c) [0x7f021f8e43ec]
[ 32.818] (EE) unw_get_proc_name failed: no unwind info found [-10]
[ 32.818] (EE) 7: /usr/lib/libEGL.so.1 (?+0x4c) [0x7f021fb8cf7c]
[ 32.818] (EE) 8: /usr/lib/libEGL.so.1 (NvEglRegClientApi+0x4f84) [0x7f021fb9a274]
[ 32.818] (EE) 9: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libglamoregl.so (glamor_egl_init+0xdd) [0x7f02217335bd]
[ 32.819] (EE) 10: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/modesetting_drv.so (_init+0x18e4) [0x7f02289729a4]
[ 32.819] (EE) 11: /usr/libexec/Xorg (InitOutput+0x17b2) [0x5e1ab2]
[ 32.819] (EE) 12: /usr/libexec/Xorg (miCopyPlane+0x265f) [0x428edf]
[ 32.819] (EE) 13: /usr/lib/libc.so.6 (__libc_start_main+0xf1) [0x7f02287bd671]
[ 32.819] (EE) 14: /usr/libexec/Xorg (_start+0x2a) [0x4282ba]
[ 32.820] (EE) 15: ? (?+0x2a) [0x2a]
[ 32.820] (EE)
[ 32.820] (EE) Segmentation fault at address 0x6ffffffe
[ 32.820] (EE)
Fatal server error:
[ 32.820] (EE) Caught signal 11 (Segmentation fault). Server aborting
[ 32.820] (EE)
[ 32.820] (EE)
Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
at http://wiki.x.org
for help.
[ 32.820] (EE) Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for additional information.
[ 32.820] (EE)
[ 32.840] (EE) Server terminated with error (1). Closing log file.
This would be better as a bug report via https://dev.solus-project.com/ as it will get a lot more eyes looking at it. Given the age of the intel cpu graphics, it may work better with the intel xorg drivers. Installing the nvidia drivers currently defaults to using the modesetting driver
Okay thanks for the help! This is an old laptop (7 years old) and it's still kicking. :lol:

42578
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:44 am

Re: Optimus Support Is Now Here

Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:11 pm

Hi.

I have screen tearing when I install the nvidia drivers in my laptop.

How can I fix it?

Thanks

Return to “Announcements”