aiwan

Re: Intel graphics screen tearing

Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:17 pm

Ok, now this gets strange. I had "Disable unredirection of windows" off (=grayed, switch towards left). Then I checked it (switch towards right), restarted Firefox and nothing changed - tearing was present.

Closed Firefox, switched back the setting as it has always been (the switch towards left). BOOM, after restarting firefox tearing seems to be gone. Have tested several streams successfully - hope it stays like this. Really cannot understand what just happened. Thanks so much bwat47 for your help!

bayo

Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:53 pm

In FF and Waterfox when changed in "about:config" "layers.acceleration.force-enabled" to true the tearing stopped.

Code: Select all

Laptop System: MSI GP72 2QE
UEFI [Legacy]
Quad core Intel Core i7-5700HQ
Graphics:  Card-1: Intel HD Graphics 5600
Card-2: NVIDIA GM107M [GeForce GTX 950M]

linuxhelmet

Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:00 am

Thanks bwat47 this fix worked for the Intel HD Graphics 620 (Kaby Lake GT2) requiring only step 1 and the Iris Plus 640 (Kaby Lake GT3e) requiring step 1 and 2:

1. Go to budgie desktop settings > Under Appearance > Windows > turn on "Disable unredirection of windows"

2. about:config in url box Firefox
layers.acceleration.force-enabled to true

Also the steps for the screen tearing seemed to work as well. Thanks so much bwat47! You have no idea how much of a pain it's been trying to figure this out.

gnome-mpv video player fix:
preferences > disable "Use Client Side Decoration"

Not sure if this a band-aid for a bigger problem but this did the trick for me so hope it helps someone else :)
Also seeing as how Solus 4 is on the horizon this hopefully won't be an issue in the near future with Wayland but don't quote me on that.

Return to “Testing”