Legna

Brackets upgrade

Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:51 pm

Hi all,

By any chance, is there any plan to upgrade Brackets?

Current version is 1.10 experimental from July 2017, current version is 1.12 from end of January 2018.

Thanks.

kyrios

Re: Brackets upgrade

Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:34 pm

Legna wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:51 pm
Hi all,

By any chance, is there any plan to upgrade Brackets?

Current version is 1.10 experimental from July 2017, current version is 1.12 from end of January 2018.

Thanks.
I don't know what you mean by "experimental", it's the version 1.10 stable that is in the repository.
You can request a package update on the bug tracker (link in my signature) but you have to explain why you need it.
Asking a package update because a newer version is available is not a valid justification and will likely be rejected.

Legna

Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:51 pm

Experimental because on About brackets I got
Release 1.10 experimental build 1.10.0-17483 (release 024bee940)
build timestamp: Wed Jul 05 2017 06:48:43 GMT+0000
Regarding the reason, it's more because starting from 1.11 the Linux version seems equal to Windows/macOS version as described by Adobe:
Brackets on Linux - Brackets now offers full support for the Linux platform. With an update to the shell with a new version of CEF, Brackets is now fully functional on Linux.
And I hope maybe the soft is a little bit quicker too.

I don't really need to get the latest version when it's released plus I was using Arch before Solus... Newer does not mean better but when the software is better and new functions are released it's a good reason to try.

kyrios

Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:55 am

Legna wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:51 pm
Experimental because on About brackets I got
Release 1.10 experimental build 1.10.0-17483 (release 024bee940)
build timestamp: Wed Jul 05 2017 06:48:43 GMT+0000
Regarding the reason, it's more because starting from 1.11 the Linux version seems equal to Windows/macOS version as described by Adobe:
Brackets on Linux - Brackets now offers full support for the Linux platform. With an update to the shell with a new version of CEF, Brackets is now fully functional on Linux.
And I hope maybe the soft is a little bit quicker too.

I don't really need to get the latest version when it's released plus I was using Arch before Solus... Newer does not mean better but when the software is better and new functions are released it's a good reason to try.
The point is not really that "Newer does not mean better" since soon or late, packages have to be updated. It's more about the philosophy of curated rolling release : If something is stable and works fine, there is no reason to rush on updates as the risk zero does not exists and it might cause issues or have some unwished side effects. So as long as everybody is happy the current version may remain for a while, even if newer versions are available.

This of course does not apply to everything. For example, important/core components are continuously updated or packages might be patched/updated to address vulnerabilities. Other packages updates mainly depends on the needs, the packagers and the requests.

But if someone reports that a new version of an application addresses a bug that is annoying him/her or that it brings new features/enhancements he/she is interested in, the package will be updated. This is why it is important to provide a justification and not just telling a newer versions are available.

What you explained just now is enough for requesting an update of the package on the bug tracker.

sunnyflunk
Development Team

Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:55 am

There is also a priority aspect, when an update contains 100 bug fixes (or new features), it's pretty important to update, particularly an end user application. However, sometimes you find people are asking for an update (cause one exists) for a new version where the only change was build fixes on windows or mac.

Legna

Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:54 pm

I understand that sunnyflunk and I agree on the curated rolling-release philosophy kyrios (it was one of the Solus aspects that I came for)

I was not asking to get a new release to get a new release, the thing was more, the version was listed as an experimental one in the description of the app itself and few weeks after the changelog was mentioning a full compatibility with Linux (released in Sept 2017, about 6 months ago). I think after 6 months, it may be curated enough :D
I found minor bugs or slowness using the app and was thinking it could be related to that.

Thanks for your replies.

sunnyflunk
Development Team

Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:13 am

While this isn't required, I will add it for completion. Ideally all development related tasks (including where someone can make an improvement we can add to a package rather than users having to do a workaround) are congregated in one place (this being Phab). This is also where the people that can action the request are, so things happen much more quickly when requests are made there. A post on the forum/reddit/G+ can easily be lost and aren't typically looked at a 2nd time (where tasks persist until they are closed).

I will update to 1.12, as I see someone has already prepared an update for it.

Legna

Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:48 am

Thanks for the update :)
It's really nice of the team!

Return to “Packaging”