Sithhy

Terrible fonts in third-party apps

Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:23 pm

Hello. I'm sorry for this question being asked here, but I kinda had to... I have tried out Solus with Budgie DE as livecd and it was all fine, but after installing it, every program has a different font (the worst being Chrome). Is there ANY way I could fix this? I just want to enjoy Linux...

The issue is so bad, that my eyes start to burn like I would be looking at a TN panel from 2006. So far, I had this issue happen on every Gnome-based DE, no matter if it was Ubuntu, Linux Mint or something else; it just mattered that the DE was Gnome-based.

A friend of mine is using PCLinuxOS as his main OS & he has MATE DE yet there are no font problems for him to be seen... What could be the issue? :|

I'm so tired of this, because I finally want to enjoy an Linux distro yet I can't because of the damn fonts...
Last edited by Sithhy on Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tumultus

Re: Terrible fonts in third-party apps

Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:42 pm

I have the same issue (see here) I temporarily fixed it by installing Microsoft's True Type Fonts (msttcorefonts). Not without issues but it helps.

Sithhy

Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:48 pm

Tumultus wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:42 pm
I temporarily fixed it by installing Microsoft's True Type Fonts (msttcorefonts). Not without issues but it helps.
Well, my issue isn't only in Chrome; it's in EVERY app that I installed :(

ovichiro

Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:36 am

Hi.
First off, TN panels from 2006 weren't that bad :)
Second, can you post a screenshot of at least 3 apps, excluding browsers, where you have different fonts?

Have you tried setting everything to English to see if language matters?
Is it possible that your language is not well supported by the default fonts and some apps fall back to something else? In this case you may have to set some good fonts from the Tweak tool for the desktop, and then the same fonts in the browser settings.

Return to “Hardware”