mystic
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:43 am

Can someone help me with a package request

Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:28 pm

Hi guys,
I am not a technical user and I don't understand most of the guide that was given for package request. Can you help me with the form or perhaps someone from the community can submit the request? I would like the following software to be available - MAT: Metadata Anonymisation Toolkit . The link is below.

https://mat.boum.org/

The form to be filled up below is:

"Name
Homepage
Why should this be included in the repository? If we already offer similar software in our repository or third party, please provide information on what your proposed software does that our existing offerings don’t (differentiators).
Is it Open Source (yes/no)
If yes: Set the Tags to have “Package Requests”
if no: Set the Tags to have “Third Party Repository”
How many users do you anticipate will use this software?
Link to source tarball/zip file

master.zip files are not permitted. We require versioned tarballs, for example: “1.2.3.tar.gz”."

Many Thanks,
Mystic

User avatar
kyrios
Posts: 2355
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:20 pm

Re: Can someone help me with a package request

Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:19 pm

mystic wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:28 pm
Hi guys,
I am not a technical user and I don't understand most of the guide that was given for package request. Can you help me with the form or perhaps someone from the community can submit the request? I would like the following software to be available - MAT: Metadata Anonymisation Toolkit . The link is below.

https://mat.boum.org/

The form to be filled up below is:

"Name
Homepage
Why should this be included in the repository? If we already offer similar software in our repository or third party, please provide information on what your proposed software does that our existing offerings don’t (differentiators).
Is it Open Source (yes/no)
If yes: Set the Tags to have “Package Requests”
if no: Set the Tags to have “Third Party Repository”
How many users do you anticipate will use this software?
Link to source tarball/zip file

master.zip files are not permitted. We require versioned tarballs, for example: “1.2.3.tar.gz”."

Many Thanks,
Mystic
But but the form is not technical at all !!! :o

This being said, there is already a pending request for it : T5831

mystic
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:43 am

Re: Can someone help me with a package request

Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:28 pm

Thanks. I recently switched from windows and I have no idea what "1.2.3.tar.gz" is. haha

User avatar
kyrios
Posts: 2355
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:20 pm

Re: Can someone help me with a package request

Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:31 pm

mystic wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:28 pm
Thanks. I recently switched from windows and I have no idea what "1.2.3.tar.gz" is. haha
Oh that's just the same as a .zip file.
In the form it's required to provide a link to a versioned version of the compressed file that contains the sources. For example something like "applicationXYZ-latest.zip" is not acceptable because this file will change everytime the application is updated. instead something like "applicationXYZ-1.2.3.zip" is expected (where 1.2.3 is the version of the application).

In the specific case of MAT, if you look at the link you provided, you'll see on the page "You can also download the stable release files". If you click the "files" link, you'll reach the page that contains the versioned archives and you have to provide the link to the most recent one (or rather the less old in this specific case) which is mat-0.6.1.tar.xz.

User avatar
Lorien
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed May 03, 2017 2:05 am

Re: Can someone help me with a package request

Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:53 pm

Welcome mystic.

"A TAR.GZ file is a TAR archive compressed with the standard GNU zip (gzip) compression algorithm. It contains one or more compressed files and is commonly used on Unix operating systems to package files, programs, and installers."


https://fileinfo.com/extension/tar.gz (do not download anything from the page in link, everything you need to unpack these files is integrated in Solus by default)

Hang in there... even though there might be a somewhat steep learning curve to begin with coming from Windows, to me it was absolutely worth it.
Switched from Windows 7 to Linux two years ago (i don't dual boot), and have been running Solus Budgie for 1 year now. Best OS i have ever used, it's just blazing fast & rock solid for me on two pc's, and if you can find everything you need in the software center, life on a pc does not get any easier thanks to the brilliant Solus Devs.

That's just my two cents... :)

mystic
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:43 am

Re: Can someone help me with a package request

Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:40 pm

Lorien wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:53 pm
Welcome mystic.

"A TAR.GZ file is a TAR archive compressed with the standard GNU zip (gzip) compression algorithm. It contains one or more compressed files and is commonly used on Unix operating systems to package files, programs, and installers."


https://fileinfo.com/extension/tar.gz (do not download anything from the page in link, everything you need to unpack these files is integrated in Solus by default)

Hang in there... even though there might be a somewhat steep learning curve to begin with coming from Windows, to me it was absolutely worth it.
Switched from Windows 7 to Linux two years ago (i don't dual boot), and have been running Solus Budgie for 1 year now. Best OS i have ever used, it's just blazing fast & rock solid for me on two pc's, and if you can find everything you need in the software center, life on a pc does not get any easier thanks to the brilliant Solus Devs.

That's just my two cents... :)
Thanks Again. :)

Return to “Other Questions”