Blintok

update freezes computer at kernel glue

Thu May 31, 2018 1:53 am

I have been using Solus for almost a year. Was running fine with Gnome 3 and i had Budgie as well that i could swap to by logging out.

I got a new hard drive (Seagate 1T) and i am trying to install Solus on it. I get it to install just fine. But when i run updates the computer freezes during update at the "Kernel glue" update. Hard lock up. Everything freezes. I thought at first it was just taking a while so i left it but after 5 min was still stuck. Mouse pointer was frozen. I have tried to reinstall both Budgie and Gnome 3 but they both lock up at the kernel glue. It is not the hard drive as it worked fine with Linux Mint.

i have 4 hard drives. Drive 1 is Linux Mint (formerly Solus) Seagate Firecuda
drive 2 is SSD with Windows 10 + Drive 3 Seagate barracuda as data
drive 4 is Solus (formerly Mint) + the others listed below

the drives are hooked up to a kingwin drive selector. So i can turn off all drives but the one i want to run.

Nothing else has changed from my system. Solus ran fine as i said. Just the reinstall and update at kernel glue freeze.

drive 4 was used for testing mostly. Had Majaro KDE and Gnome 3 on it. Had KDE neon. Had manjaro with Deepin. All worked fine.
very frustrating.

BradHeff

Re: update freezes computer at kernel glue

Thu May 31, 2018 2:19 am

i had a little trouble with the updates on a fresh install when i installed on my main PC. During the update the screen would go black and be presented with a flashing cursor in the top left. I rebooted and continued the updates and everything was fine.
When i installed solus on my 2 brothers PC's, once at the login screen after install i would press

Code: Select all

Alt+Ctrl F2
login in the terminal and run the updates there

Code: Select all

sudo eopkg up
Once complete reboot and all is well :D

Doing it this way you could probably get more detailed information on were it fails or what is happening.

Blintok

Thu May 31, 2018 5:03 am

thanks. I tried both ways. The software centre and using terminal sudo eopkg up. Always froze at the "kernal glue"

but i got it working in a way. I AM running Budgie. But not on Solus. Running Manjaro. Install went fine and all is working.

sad and frustrating because i had Solus working fine for months.

Blintok

Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:16 am

Thank you gods of Solus

i just had to try to install again. Manjaro Budgie is nice but i really wanted my Solus back. So i gave it one last shot tonight. Install went well. Reboot and desktop, good so far. Then the dreaded updates. but not sure if it made a difference or just a fluke. I used the software centre and instead of putting a check mark in all 3 boxes i did them one at a time. Started with required. Went well until, oh oh the dreaded "kernel glue" but this time it got past it.

Security updates next. installed. then the last check box. Installed ... getting excited. Am i past it? oh oh. desktop background gone. wont display. restarted. took a while to restart. Thought it froze for a few minutes but i waited. Got back to desktop. looking good

last one is driver update. Nvidia (GTX1070) .. installed / reboot. all is well. so happy to have Solus back.

BradHeff

Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:56 am

FANTASTIC!! glad its all working, after install when i used software Center i did it 1 at a time as well. better to be safe then sorry :D

dschinn1001

Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:19 pm

You should install kernel-headers too.

Which Kernel Do you have?

Determine by command:

> uname - ar

kernel-headers should suit by same version of Kernel.

You can find suiting headers in software update manager.

Moebius

Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:33 am

I was excited to try Solus for the first time today. I downloaded the newest version and installed it on my new Dell Inspiron 3180 and that went fine, but the updates kept freezing at kernel-glue or libx11 if I used terminal. After freezing I could reboot the system and try again, I tried terminal and software center for updates and got the same results with both. After a couple reboots the OS broke and needed reinstalled. :( I'm installing Ubuntu MATE now, hopefully this issue gets resolved in a newer update for Solus, I'd love to give it a shot.

Moebius

Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:27 am

No luck with any Ubuntu distro's as they all don't work with my trackpad -_-

I reinstalled Solus again with the intention of just not updating it until I had a fix or until a further update happened to fix the issue, but now I keep running into the problem of the screen not turning back on after the screensaver starts up. It just stays black. When I reboot the OS only boots to the command line and I can't get the GUI back. Good times.

Return to “Installation”