kendew

irq handler error

Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:35 pm

Hi
My first post here. I think this might be hardware related, but here's the background:
I was given a number of Lenovo X120e notebooks and want to install a Linux system for use at a non-profit. I've tried a couple of distros but was impressed with how well Solus worked out of the box -- wifi running, and video working, whereas other distros had trouble with this AMD architecture. Also, Solus seems user friendly, something needed as these notebooks will be used by people not Linux savvy. This was also my first experience with Solus. Until now my experience has been mainly with Debian and Arch.
There are some problems and things I'd like to tweak, so you may be seeing a number of posts by me concerning different topics. I hope you'll be patient with that.
Anyway, first post, first problem, because it's what you first see when booting these notebooks -- An error message:

Code: Select all

solus kernel: do_IRQ: 1.55 No irq handler for vector
Would anyone have any insight on this? In fact, Solus itself is running fine.
Searching around, someone has suggested editing grub to:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash pci=nomsi,noaer"
I'm not sure how I would go about editing grub in Solus.
Any suggestions appreciated.
Thanks
Kendew

sunnyflunk
Development Team

Re: irq handler error

Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:50 am

kendew wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:35 pm
Would anyone have any insight on this? In fact, Solus itself is running fine.
Searching around, someone has suggested editing grub to:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash pci=nomsi,noaer"
I'm not sure how I would go about editing grub in Solus.
Any suggestions appreciated.
Thanks
Kendew
It is documented here, so you would add this to the file instead
pci=nomsi,noaer
https://solus-project.com/articles/trou ... solus-boot

kendew

Re: irq handler error

Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:05 am

Thanks. It didn't work, but I'm happy to have the knowledge on how to do.
I mentioned I have a few of these X120e notebooks, so on the install of the second one I watched things a little closer. On booting the ISO via USB, the irq handler error didn't occur. uname -a showed kernel version as 4.12.x. After install, on booting from the HD, the irq handler error also didn't occur. Again, uname -a showing 4.12.x. The irq handler error did occur on booting after applying upgrades, when uname showed kernel to be 4.17.x.
So I'm concluding this is a Kernel version related error, maybe a bug, associated with 4.17.x. It seems Solus upgrades the kernel along with other applications when doing upgrades, and maybe this error will disappear with the next kernel version. In any case, it's not causing any problems I can notice so I'm not sure I really want to append kernel parameters that will be irrelevant down the road.
But I'd appreciate some insight. Is there merit in having the newest kernel for a relatively old machine? And suppose I found an earlier kernel that worked very well, would it be wise to keep the kernel at that version and is there a way to do that? There was some info on that at the link provided but I'm not sure how that might apply to selecting a specific kernel version. Keep in mind these computers will eventually not be in my hands.
Kendew

Return to “Hardware”