Barnaby

Contributing to Solus Codebase

Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:21 am

Hi!

I'm a software developer interested in contributing to the Solus OS codebase!

I understand that the codebase is likely varied and different parts of the OS are built/run/tested differently, so my question is more about getting started and easing myself in.

I'm quite new to the open source development world, but am very interested both because I use Solus and because this is one of the few open source communities where I feel somewhat welcome to participate.

Some questions:

• Where's a good place to start developing for Solus?
  • What kind of environment is needed (IDE, tools, etc)?
  • How do devs communicate with the rest of the team?
  • Is there any low hanging fruit (bugs, projects, etc) that would be good to check out?
  • Where's a good place to go for help/advice?
  • Any other tips for someone looking to contribute?

kyrios

Re: Contributing to Solus Codebase

Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:10 am

Barnaby wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:21 am
Hi!

I'm a software developer interested in contributing to the Solus OS codebase!

I understand that the codebase is likely varied and different parts of the OS are built/run/tested differently, so my question is more about getting started and easing myself in.

I'm quite new to the open source development world, but am very interested both because I use Solus and because this is one of the few open source communities where I feel somewhat welcome to participate.

Some questions:

• Where's a good place to start developing for Solus?
  • What kind of environment is needed (IDE, tools, etc)?
  • How do devs communicate with the rest of the team?
  • Is there any low hanging fruit (bugs, projects, etc) that would be good to check out?
  • Where's a good place to go for help/advice?
  • Any other tips for someone looking to contribute?

You can find the Solus repositories on github the tooling-central one is a good starting point.

The IDE and tools depends on the preference of the developer.

The communication is done on IRC (freenode) in the #Solus-Dev channel

There is a low hanging fruit category on the bug tracker.

There are multiple good places for getting help & advices, it all depends on what exactly you're looking for; depending on the topics the audiences might be very different. The best is to ask around so people can point the right direction depending on the specific needs (i.e.: For your request, github & IRC are most likely the places to join).

Return to “General Chit-Chat”