malagasy

Budgie desktop wiped out and replaced by gnome after first updat

Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:05 am

Hello,

I just installed Solus from the CD Solus-3-Budgie.iso on my laptop Dell Inspiron. The install was successful, then I get a pop up asking me to update my system.
I choose to update everything, the update took very long. In the end, Budgie desktop and Thunderbird were wipe out from my system, and now it's only running Gnome.

I installed another OS in the meantime, but now I am planning to re-install Solus. I am afraid that the same issue will happen again.

Do you have any advice on what should/shouldn't I do once my system is installed?

Thank you in advance for your answer.

geoffrey.A

Re: Budgie desktop wiped out and replaced by gnome after first updat

Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:19 am

Hmm . . .never heard of that one. Best to make sure the iso was for Budgie DE versuse Gnome. Solus has 3 DE's (b;udgie, gnome and mate). Run the live iso (demo the system) and then while in the live session, look for the installer link. Note you will by default get a lot of gnome components with Budgie.

malagasy

Re: Budgie desktop wiped out and replaced by gnome after first updat

Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:44 pm

The iso is the good one, I attempted few times the re-install and my conclusion is that the software center is the source of the issue.

On one of my attempt to update the system using the software center, the upgrade seems to be stuck and I have to stop everything after 1 hour with no progress. I did not wait very long to see if it will behave the same as I described here.

Then, I reinstalled the system again, disabled the update from the software center, once I run the update manually, everything works fine.

Also, I tried to install my first application from software center, there was no progress bar telling me what's going on. I closed the software center as it was freezing and not doing anything, then I noticed that the program I tried to install is now in the program list. For now, I will avoid using software center.

Return to “Installation”