darshandsoni

Install with linux-current by default

Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:55 pm

I have a new Ryzen 2200U laptop which has been documented to have quite a few "quirks" to get working properly on linux. The first of which is that a kernel of 4.15ish or higher is needed to run well.
Is there anyway I can download an iso and install with linux-current instead of linux-lts?

I've tried doing just a regular install and then hoping that I can get just enough time to do an update and switch kernels but the machine hardly stays stable for a few minutes.

kyrios

Re: Install with linux-current by default

Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:00 am

darshandsoni wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:55 pm
I have a new Ryzen 2200U laptop which has been documented to have quite a few "quirks" to get working properly on linux. The first of which is that a kernel of 4.15ish or higher is needed to run well.
Is there anyway I can download an iso and install with linux-current instead of linux-lts?

I've tried doing just a regular install and then hoping that I can get just enough time to do an update and switch kernels but the machine hardly stays stable for a few minutes.

Solus 3 comes with linux-current but it's the version that was available at the moment the iso was made 4.12.x
If the install works, you can do a "sudo eopkg up" when it's over to get the latest updates

darshandsoni

Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:16 am

Interesting. I did not know that! My older machine has Solus, which I installed in January 2017... It receives regular updates and is on v 3.9999 right now. It seems to continue to be on kernel 4.9 lts though. How exactly does the versioning work with kernels in that case?

kyrios

Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:26 am

darshandsoni wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:16 am
Interesting. I did not know that! My older machine has Solus, which I installed in January 2017... It receives regular updates and is on v 3.9999 right now. It seems to continue to be on kernel 4.9 lts though. How exactly does the versioning work with kernels in that case?
Solus keeps on providing updates for the components that are installed on your machine. You computer was installed with the lts kernel because current was only introduced and made as default with the Solus 3 ISO. The procedure to switch to the other kernel branch is on the help center

Return to “Installation”