dlalinsp

Automatic Updates

Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:19 pm

I really like the way Solus linux handles their updates. It's simple and non-intrusive. However, a friend of mine, who is a linux newbie, would have preferred to have his system update automatically. Perhaps, an option to automatically update the system would be a nice feature. Keep up the good work!

kyrios

Re: Automatic Updates

Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:04 pm

dlalinsp wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:19 pm
I really like the way Solus linux handles their updates. It's simple and non-intrusive. However, a friend of mine, who is a linux newbie, would have preferred to have his system update automatically. Perhaps, an option to automatically update the system would be a nice feature. Keep up the good work!

This has been discussed many times already and this is not something Solus wants to offer as it won't allow the user to review the updates before applying them (the new software center will ease the access to the changelogs).

If you really want to automate updates, your best option is to make a systemd timer

Here are the first 3 results returned by a very known search engine:
* viewtopic.php?t=8261
* viewtopic.php?t=771
* https://www.reddit.com/r/SolusProject/c ... matically/

dlalinsp

Re: Automatic Updates

Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:58 am

Thanks for the links. I can now understand why you haven't included an option for automatic updates. I have to say that I really support this move now, given the reasons for it. I really appreciate that the people at Solus linux put so much thought into their work. I'll explain this to my friend, too. Keep up the good work!

Return to “Ideas”