keydet20

Get around Security Policy on Dell

Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:55 pm

So I am a first time Linux user trying to install Solus MATE on my Dell Inspiron 7352. I have made the live USB with Rufus, and when I try to boot on startup I get a message that I cannot boot due to the security policy. I have tried to disable secure boot, but that has me going in circles because my computer will not boot at all.
I have only used Linux on a virtual machine, so if anyone knows what I might be doing wrong or knows a fix it would be appreciated.

kyrios

Re: Get around Security Policy on Dell

Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:10 am

keydet20 wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:55 pm
So I am a first time Linux user trying to install Solus MATE on my Dell Inspiron 7352. I have made the live USB with Rufus, and when I try to boot on startup I get a message that I cannot boot due to the security policy. I have tried to disable secure boot, but that has me going in circles because my computer will not boot at all.
I have only used Linux on a virtual machine, so if anyone knows what I might be doing wrong or knows a fix it would be appreciated.
Disable Secure Boot in the BIOS. Also disable FastBoot and if you have a SSD, make sure to set it in AHCI mode.

keydet20

Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:05 pm

Thanks for the reply. It did not give me the security warning but took me to a black screen with a 10 second countdoun, the took me back to the boot settings screen. Was there something I was supposed to do in that countdown screen?

malagasy

Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:21 am

Hi,
My system is a DELL Inspiron 3552 with Solus that I installed recently, and when I go to the BIOS menu (F2 at the start of the system), I have

Fast Boot: Enabled
Boot List Option: Legacy
Secure Boot: Disabled
Load Legacy Option Rom: Enabled

Set Boot priority:
1st boot priority: USB Storage device
2nd Boot priority: Diskette Drive
3rd Boot Priority: CD/DVD/CD-RW Drive
4th Boot priority: Hard Drive
5th Boot priority: Network,

You can set your system the same, and run the install from and USB drive again.

I hope this can help.

Cheers

jeois

Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:06 pm

keydet20 wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:05 pm
Thanks for the reply. It did not give me the security warning but took me to a black screen with a 10 second countdoun, the took me back to the boot settings screen. Was there something I was supposed to do in that countdown screen?
That happened on one of my machines during installation. Turns out the system didn't like me moving a bookmarks file onto the USB drive.

Make sure you're using the "dd" option in Rufus to burn the image (this will delete everything on the drive) and don't mess with the files on the USB drive.

Return to “Installation”